• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

hot glue question

tarantulas

I have been researching hot glue, and I'm not sure which one is safe. Any hot glue or a specific type? I remember someone mentioned either hot glue or silicone. I wonder if you can share the link here? Thank you!

Nephrite

The main problem with hot glue is the fumes. Easy fix to that is to use hot glue for your enclosures (I'm assuming your using it for that) then afterwards just let the enclosure air out for a couple hours and it should be good to go.

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I plan to use it for the fake plant on the cork bark.

As it is a hot glue gun & as it produces fumes, I simply allow the glue sufficient time to fully harden & clear of fumes. So I never do anything last minute & leave enclosures, bark etc at least overnight before use. I have several pieces of bark which I have drilled & hot glued plant leaves too. I also have water bowls glued to the side of enclosures. They all survive well, if done properly & I have seen no ill effects on my T's from using my glue gun. Oh & I simply use glue sticks I have brought from ebay.

9a.jpg

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Myth. Let the glue dry, allow the fumes dissipate, and no issue. FWIW, minimal fumes from hot glue...

The fumes from burning through plastic with a soldering iron are far more dangerous to you, than the animal that will live in the plastic enclosure you made the holes in.
Also, don't burn holes in plastic enclosures while your T is in the enclosure.

If common sense really were common we wouldn't have to have conversations like this as often as we do.

tarantulas

Myth. Let the glue dry, allow the fumes dissipate, and no issue. FWIW, minimal fumes from hot glue...

The fumes from burning through plastic with a soldering iron are far more dangerous to you, than the animal that will live in the plastic enclosure you made the holes in.
Also, don't burn holes in plastic enclosures while your T is in the enclosure.

If common sense really were common we wouldn't have to have conversations like this as often as we do.
Thank you, and I gotta agree with you.

tarantulas

I used a glue gun without any issues. Just let it breath a day and it’ll be fine.
When adding plants to a cork I usually drill a whole slightly smaller than the branch I need to add and work it in, it is prettier and never moves :)
As it is a hot glue gun & as it produces fumes, I simply allow the glue sufficient time to fully harden & clear of fumes. So I never do anything last minute & leave enclosures, bark etc at least overnight before use. I have several pieces of bark which I have drilled & hot glued plant leaves too. I also have water bowls glued to the side of enclosures. They all survive well, if done properly & I have seen no ill effects on my T's from using my glue gun. Oh & I simply use glue sticks I have brought from ebay.

View attachment 54838
Thank you. That's helpful!

tarantulas

I used a glue gun without any issues. Just let it breath a day and it’ll be fine.
When adding plants to a cork I usually drill a whole slightly smaller than the branch I need to add and work it in, it is prettier and never moves :)
Duh me. I never thought about the drill, lol! I will use the drill instead of hot glue! Many thanks!

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I do the same, but also often glue-on when drill-n-fill isn't practical.

Once the glue dries completely there should be no long term affects like toxic outgassing.

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I do the same, but also often glue-on when drill-n-fill isn't practical.

Once the glue dries completely there should be no long term affects like toxic outgassing.

Me too. I drill a very slightly larger hole than I need, then fill the hole with hot glue, before inserting the plant.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I use hot glue all the time. I put spiders in the enclosures as soon as it cools. The only worry I have is the long strans of glue left behind. Not that they will but I don't want my spiders ingesting them. Many spiders will eat their own webbing and I don't want it mixed up in with it.

Latest posts