• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Horn worm yes or no!?

Erika75

Good morning y'all... Just wondering if anyone could let me know if a blue horn worm would be ok to feed my sub adult avic avic? I've read up that its good to fatten up spiders & reptiles.. And if it's good for her about how long would i not feed her after she would eat it? Oh... Would she eat it though when she has ALWAYS just fed on crickets??? Thanks guys in advance (-:

Attachments

• 20200825_223237.jpg
    20200825_223237.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 24

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Good morning y'all... Just wondering if anyone could let me know if a blue horn worm would be ok to feed my sub adult avic avic? I've read up that its good to fatten up spiders & reptiles.. And if it's good for her about how long would i not feed her after she would eat it? Oh... Would she eat it though when she has ALWAYS just fed on crickets??? Thanks guys in advance (-:
Any particular reason why you want to feed her a hornworm? If she's happily eating crickets I would just stick to those - I've never personally fed hornworms Ive seen that a few people on YouTube videos like to feed such things to get views -
Just to highlight that arboreal tarantulas don't get as large of an abdomen as terrestrial species do - she looks good in that picture :)

Erika75

Any particular reason why you want to feed her a hornworm? If she's happily eating crickets I would just stick to those - I've never personally fed hornworms Ive seen that a few people on YouTube videos like to feed such things to get views -
Just to highlight that arboreal tarantulas don't get as large of an abdomen as terrestrial species do - she looks good in that picture :)
No main reason really... I know she looks good in the picture maybe i
No nit a main reason really .. Just didn't know if maybe she would eat it and it be good for her? She does LOVE crickets ..i don't thi
Thank you ☺️ no not really a reason .. just was thinking she would enjoy something as a treat different than crickets.. I was just wanting to also hear everyone's I bout on it... Have a blessed day..

Erika75

I have noticed tho the last 2 or 3 times I've fed her she seems to act hungrier? And what I mean bye that is the way she grabs the cricket.. That's why I was thinking of feeding the horn worm to her... But what if she don't eat it or like it? I wonder how long it will take her to eat the whole thing? They are awful big worms ... Lol

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I have noticed tho the last 2 or 3 times I've fed her she seems to act hungrier? And what I mean bye that is the way she grabs the cricket.. That's why I was thinking of feeding the horn worm to her... But what if she don't eat it or like it? I wonder how long it will take her to eat the whole thing? They are awful big worms ... Lol
Do you just feed one cricket at a time? I haven't any experience feeding hornworms but from what I've seen they look huge - also if you end up overfeeding your tarantula it will just cause it to fast (premoult) for a longer period of time between moults...

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Also some Ts find large prey items intimidating and cower away from such things so no idea how your T will respond :)

Erika75

Yes I've always just fed 1 cricket at a time and usually feed her like every 3-4 days ... I've had her since beginning of February and she has NOT molted for me yet

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Yes I've always just fed 1 cricket at a time and usually feed her like every 3-4 days ... I've had her since beginning of February and she has NOT molted for me yet
That feeding regime sounds fine to me... You can offer it if you wish - you may end up waiting a decent amount of time for her to moult anyway as it's an adult T :)

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hornworms are a good meal for a T. They start out small, but after a week of constant feeding they get HUGE. So, the size of the meal for the T varies widely. In general, I use them for adult Ts if I want to fatten them up.. Ts tend to love them. And, if your large T doesn't eat it, it becomes a very tasty moth.

Never feed a wild hornworm to your T. The leaves in nature that they chew on (tomato plants) are toxic. Please only use store bought captive raised hornworms.

Erika75

That feeding regime sounds fine to me... You can offer it if you wish - you may end up waiting a decent amount of time for her to moult anyway as it's an adult T :)
She is a adult? I don't even know ... Like I was saying I got her this past February 2020 ... How can you tell she is a adult? Sorry if I sounded dumb lol She's my 1 & only T

Erika75

Hornworms are a good meal for a T. They start out small, but after a week of constant feeding they get HUGE. So, the size of the meal for the T varies widely. In general, I use them for adult Ts if I want to fatten them up.. Ts tend to love them. And, if your large T doesn't eat it, it becomes a very tasty moth.

Never feed a wild hornworm to your T. The leaves in nature that they chew on (tomato plants) are toxic. Please only use store bought captive raised hornworms.
I didn't feed her the horn worm... I was worried.. but it was a very small horn worm lol I thought it was going to be really big size.. lol I am going after work to buy some large size crickets for her... She loves them ... It was bought from the store I would never feed her anything outside... Thanks for your reply ☺️

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
She is a adult? I don't even know ... Like I was saying I got her this past February 2020 ... How can you tell she is a adult? Sorry if I sounded dumb lol She's my 1 & only T
I'm just guessing from the pictures she looks a decent size to me and is showing her adult colours to me couldn't say for sure unless I knew her diagonal leg span :)

Aracnoenthusiast

3 Year Member
I've seen plenty of ts eat horn worms. It cant bite back so ita not really dangerous. If your t is scared of if when you drop it in, give it a few minutes to come investigate and if it doesn't eat it just take it out. No big deal

ArachnoLady

Hey..so I just got horn worms. He is a sling. I was wondering if sliced hornworms are a nice treat and how long can i leave sliced hornworms in his enclosure? I was hoping it can hydrate him nicely to not loose his water. Since it is good in nutrients and hydration for him. Or if its a really small hornworm shoild i leave it in there for him to catch it? Like a small hornworm his size.
Or if sliced hornworms are better. But how long can i leave the slices in there