• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

holding Theraphosa Blondi????

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
My best advice, do not handle this one!!!!!!! If you need to rehouse it or clean the tank, use a cup to move her around. Put the cup on top of it then slowly slide a lid under it to take her out. Put gloves on as everything in the enclosure will have urticating hairs on it (you won't see them). The Theraphosa species has the worst urticating hairs, the blondi hairs being second only to the aphosysis and they do not hesitate to flick some at will, especially smaller ones (my big girl will put on a threat posture that makes you consider signing a will). I love both my blondi and aphosysis, they are some of my favorite Ts but the very last ones I would try to handle. Break a leg!

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
This is what happens when a blondi/stirmi walks on you during a breeding session. Extremely irritating and itchy skin for many days.
IMG_460894806809058.jpeg
Personally I wouldn't hold one because they are so large bodied that any fall could be dangerous. If you must id cover up all skin areas. Lay on the floor and let them walk over your hand or arm.

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Yup,
Like @Arachnoclown we all learnt the hard way
Keep in mind that the hairs are almost invisible and will easily fly all over the place. If you consider getting near your T and take it out of its enclosure, remove all draft or fans from the room and keep your eyes and nose as far as you can from the beast ;)
8C794020-5AB7-485D-8CEE-0F86C4583C17.jpeg

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
And take care with molts. Some of the worst skin irritation that I have had, is off my stirmi's molt. My stirmi is one of the 2 or 3 I have named. She is called Felicity, or flick for short.

Latest posts