• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

hi there

Braveone

3 Year Member
Hi im andy from Leicester. Looking to get my first T but not sure what one.I was thinking either chili flame or river rust. What one would you suggest...thanks

Braveone

3 Year Member
Thanks and I want one to handle..chili flame was recommended to me by a shop as I wanted a b smithi but there known for flicking hair and river rust I found through another group. I understand they are both docile and small which is what I want and to help me get over my fear...so handling them is a main thing

Tara Russell

3 Year Member
Well all Tarantulas flick hairs even my Rosie you may just itch just a little but your not going to die XD you should go with a B Smithi they look pretty cool looking and love too be handled. I do envy you that your pet store sells those we only sell Rosies and Pink Toes and that's it

Sabeth

3 Year Member
Welcome, Braveone! My first tarantula was a Mexican Redknee, they are particularly docile and gentle (most, anyway) and my girl definitely lives up to those traits! Love the Redknee. :)

Attachments

• 0213141239.jpg
    0213141239.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 25

Sabeth

3 Year Member
She usually grooms right after she eats. I've even caught her at the edge of her water dish, seemingly washing her fangs and polishing them with her pedipalps. :) She makes me clear her table for her but at least she keeps herself clean!

Tara Russell

3 Year Member
Yep I wouldn't blame her I wouldn't want left over dinner on my fangs XD awww that's cute washing her fangs ^^ hahahahaha true mine when she grooms she is all fuzzy and soft :D

LeahThomas

3 Year Member
Welcome to the forum!

On a side note, I want to stress that tarantulas don't LIKE to be held... Some simply tolerate it. Not that I am poo-pooing handling (I love to take my Ts out, I'm a pretty hands-on kind of person), but it should be understood that these creatures will never enjoy handling. They learn to tolerate it, some better than others. Those who don't want to tolerate being held (even if they did the day before) can/will bite if repeatedly bothered. Just thought I'd share that for the sake of your safety :)

Braveone

3 Year Member
Yes agree although I would like to handle as it would help my fear..i wouldn't be holding it all the time just now and then.most of the time ill be enjoying watching and learning..thanks for the welcomes and advice..thinking river rust rump for my first T

Braveone

3 Year Member
I was thinking Euathlus sp. red, but did want a b smithi or Brachypelma auratum but there know hair flickers. Maybe my second one hehehe