• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hi new to the tarantula forum

Charlie tarantulas 10

3 Year Member
Is this male or female please
Screenshot_20160726-195118.png

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Welcome to the forums Charlie. I think your missing something. you're 10 and have 9 Tarantulas... ;)

The pic for the male/female is too blurry for me to make out, maybe @Thistles or @Casey K. can tell.

Great collection though!

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hi Charlie! :) Super nice to meet and greet you here on Tarantula Forum! Welcome dear friend and fellow hobbyist! I would love to help you with sexing your H. mac.... unfortunately, it's a bit too blurry for me to tell, but I will have to opposite Thistles on my decision and say male. I see a hint of a dark shadow on the furrow (possibly indicating epiandrous fusillae on a male). Also, the book lung spacing is a tad too far apart for my liking (left from left and right from right). There is reduced pattern on the abdomen (but this could be female with a smaller abdomen and her "bursts" aren't starting to show quite well). Now, I may be wrong (and have been before- I do make mistakes) but I feel it is male. It would help extend my certainty if you could give me a leg span on the H. mac.....

Charlie tarantulas 10

3 Year Member
Hi Charlie! :) Super nice to meet and greet you here on Tarantula Forum! Welcome dear friend and fellow hobbyist! I would love to help you with sexing your H. mac.... unfortunately, it's a bit too blurry for me to tell, but I will have to opposite Thistles on my decision and say male. I see a hint of a dark shadow on the furrow (possibly indicating epiandrous fusillae on a male). Also, the book lung spacing is a tad too far apart for my liking (left from left and right from right). There is reduced pattern on the abdomen (but this could be female with a smaller abdomen and her "bursts" aren't starting to show quite well). Now, I may be wrong (and have been before- I do make mistakes) but I feel it is male. It would help extend my certainty if you could give me a leg span on the H. mac.....
OK leg span 5 to 7 inch

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
5cm or 6 cm

Ok I'm confused.....either it's 1.75-2.25" in leg span or its 5-7" in leg span? Lol....sorry but it would make a significant difference if it were 5-7" and did not have any tibial hooks and bulbs on its palps at this size....I would have to say female. If it's smaller in leg span I'm still going with male based off of what I see in the picture. The 5-7" leg span would DEFINITELY prove me wrong....that or a molt.

Charlie tarantulas 10

3 Year Member
Th
Ok I'm confused.....either it's 1.75-2.25" in leg span or its 5-7" in leg span? Lol....sorry but it would make a significant difference if it were 5-7" and did not have any tibial hooks and bulbs on its palps at this size....I would have to say female. If it's smaller in leg span I'm still going with male based off of what I see in the picture. The 5-7" leg span would DEFINITELY prove me wrong....that or a molt.
Thanks ok

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Casey could very well be right. I can't see anything on that ventral shot, but I was assuming it's a juvenile. If it looks blurrier and browner the next time it molts, it's a male. If it looks clearer and whiter, it's female.
With a bit of luck @Thistles I have just given you your 1,000th like ☺. Fully deserved milestone as you have been really helpful with sexing in particular.....along with @Casey K.

Last edited: