• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hi guys, questions about feeder roaches

Kevin Levites

3 Year Member
I am getting 4 new tarantulas tomorrow.

I live in Florida, and I have access to wild roaches collected in a rural area.

I've heard divided opinions.

I imagine that roaches from a house or garden may have been exposed to toxins and/or pesticides, so could be dangerous for a pet tarantula.

But what about roaches and beetles collected from the boondocks?

I want to experiment with some dietary diversity as opposed to always using crickets, meal worms, and silkworm moths.

What are your thoughts?

Thank you in advance.

Kevin Levites

3 Year Member
It’s really a 50/50 chance. You might be successful with this plan or you might not but me personally would not try that because they could also carry parasites
That actually does makes sense.

I imagine that a tarantula from, say, South America might be more vulnerable to parasites from Florida for the same reason why Native Americans were vulnerable to European diseases that they hadn't been exposed to.

I'll stick to domestic sources of feeder insects like dubia roaches, crickets, mealworm beetles, and silkworm moths.

Thank you again.

mrsoul1974

3 Year Member
That actually does makes sense.

I imagine that a tarantula from, say, South America might be more vulnerable to parasites from Florida for the same reason why Native Americans were vulnerable to European diseases that they hadn't been exposed to.

I'll stick to domestic sources of feeder insects like dubia roaches, crickets, mealworm beetles, and silkworm moths.

Thank you again.
Yeah, man... I think you are asking for trouble if you are looking to use wild-caught feeders for your T's. You may save a few dollars , but I don't think it's worth risking the health/lives of your T's.

Kevin Levites

3 Year Member
I looked up the red runner, and it seems that is is already established in Florida.

It does say that it now occurs in South Carolina . . . so I'm betting it's in Florida.

I was taught way way early into my keeping to not feed wild caught feeders because of the possibility of parasites. So I've never tried it wouldn't even think about it unless I'm feeding a few of the wc wolf spider's I have.
If you can keep Dubais I'd try getting a starter colony. Get the biggest you can and about six months later you may be able to actually have enough to split them up into two.

That's eventually what I have done now I have three tubs going. I still buy crickets but not by the load, for me they are really hard to keep a huge bunch alive for very long.

Kevin Levites

3 Year Member
I was taught way way early into my keeping to not feed wild caught feeders because of the possibility of parasites. So I've never tried it wouldn't even think about it unless I'm feeding a few of the wc wolf spider's I have.
If you can keep Dubais I'd try getting a starter colony. Get the biggest you can and about six months later you may be able to actually have enough to split them up into two.

That's eventually what I have done now I have three tubs going. I still buy crickets but not by the load, for me they are really hard to keep a huge bunch alive for very long.
Thank you.