• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hi from a new guy

Regifex

3 Year Member
this is my first post and I am the proud owner of a Chaco Golden knee which was given to me about a year ago now. I've had two other T's in the past and neither survived their first molt with me, but this one did, and I'm not really sure what to do now?

A friend of mine who's really into spiders said not to feed her past about a week of the molt, but its been over that now and she's still not eating... Should I be worried or is a normal kind of thing?

DalilahBlue

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
She will feed when she is ready. What kind of set up are you using? Give us an idea of the substrate, humidity, how often you are feeding, what you are feeding, etc...

Sabeth

3 Year Member
Great to have you!! :) I agree with DalilahBlue...your T will know when she's ready to take food again.

BigTGirl93

3 Year Member
Welcome to the forum! I also have a Chaco Golden Knee mine is a sling right now. They are great T's, mine has some attitude lol. And yeah DalilahBlue is right they will eat when they want too. My slings are on a pretty good feeding schedule but my Pink Toe wasn't eating for a while, last night he finally chowed down on two crickets! haha :p don't push your T just offer prey every so often and when your T is ready he will chow down. I even tried injuring the cricket before I give it to my T and that seem to work for Aragon. He went right after it. I kinda felt bad for the cricket but its the circle of life lol. Goodluck!

Regifex

3 Year Member
Well, I've been trying to feed her roaches, and to be completely honest, I don't know why because she's never seemed to like them. I didn't think that T's could be picky eaters she seems to be XD Crickets will probably be a better bet. Thnx!

Regifex

3 Year Member
also, what is the best substrate to get for this species? I think the new stuff I bought for her is too lose or something because she won't touch it (just stays on her rocks and log) and all her prey just burrows never to be seen again...

BigTGirl93

3 Year Member
Aragon is picky too! I offered him meal worms, and he does not like them at all, he is all about his crickets lol. I use Eco Earth Coconut Fiber substrate. I think its the best you can get, Petsmart sells it. And it is not expensive at all!! Avoid bark substrate or peat moss!

BigTGirl93

3 Year Member
thnx! And yes, crickets worked great! She ate 3 in one sitting which is unheard of for her anyway...
Wow that sounds like my Rosie. He eats a boat load of crickets and meal worms. Usually two at a time. I'm lucky if Aragon eats once a month lol.

Latest posts