• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hi everybody!

OneShotXD

3 Year Member
Just got my first tarantula yesterday. Chilean rose hair of course. Pretty spider and has been pretty active so far. Curious, anyone think it may be in premolt? I haven't had a chance to feed it yet so I'm not sure of its eating habits and it would be nice to know the sex. BTW its name is Ungoliant. After the spider in lord of the rings.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1371604596166.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1371604596166.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 35
  • uploadfromtaptalk1371604694619.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1371604694619.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 38

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Welcome to the boards and the hobby! If you can get a good ventral shot of the T (near where the abdomen and 'head' meet), I'm sure somebody here would be more than happy to help you try and sex your T. I'd probably give it at least a week to settle in and then try feeding it.

Sabeth

3 Year Member
I looooove your T's name!! My family are all LOTR fans. :D I named my Mexican Red Knee Luthien Tinuviel, also from the Lord of the Rings. That's sort of a mouthful so I call her "Lulu" for short. Welcome to TarantulaForum!

OneShotXD

3 Year Member
Thanks for the welcomes! I'll try to get a picture of Ungoliant's underside. That may prove difficult haha. Also, I'm not exactly sure what they're supposed to look like in premolt but under the abdominal hairs the abdomen is pretty much black.

Also, must correct myself, the spider in the actual lord of the rings series is named Shelob. She is a spawn of Ungoliant who is Melcor's evil aid in The Silmarillion (the story of middle earth's creation) /end nerd rant

Sabeth

3 Year Member
Yeah, Luthien Tinuviel is also from Middle-earth's ancient history, not actually the LOTR trilogy.

OneShotXD

3 Year Member
Yeah, Luthien Tinuviel is also from Middle-earth's ancient history, not actually the LOTR trilogy.

Yep. A Sindarin princess. Off topic but nerding out to Tolkien is fun haha. By the way Luthien in Sindarin means "enchantress."

BigTGirl93

3 Year Member
Welcome and your T is beautiful!:cool: I'm a fan of the Rose Hairs, but myself have a Metallic Pink Toe, named Aragon. After the Spider in Harry Potter! I don't think your Rosie would be in pre-molt T's auctually get pretty lethargic and slow during pre-molt, that's how they prepare for it because its so tiring and stressful for a T to go through.

Latest posts