• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Help with my Borneo Black

Hymai

3 Year Member
My sister bought me a young female Borneo Black for Christmas. I think shes great, the people at the shop told her it was a Black Velvet, but she is 100% a borneo black.
Ive had easier, social, tarantulas like Rose haired in the past, and the behavior of this spiderling is very different- so i had a question-
She has made a burrow (aboreal, yes, but the young burrow) and built a door blocking the entrance. She hasnt come out to eat or drink in 5 days. Is it the shock of moving around, and changing enclosures?
I just want to make sure my babes okay :/

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
It takes some Ts longer than others to settle. My L. sp Borneo Black burrowed to begin with but as she's grown she's built the entrance up and up. The container she's in is 8.5" high.

If it's webbed over the entrance it may be coming up to moult.

Hymai

3 Year Member
Do you know how often shell molt? My last T was already mature when I had gotten her.
My Borneo (Calypso is her name) is about 2-2.5 inches head to bum. Not sure how old, the people at the pet shop new nothing. They didnt even know they had misidenfied her so badly, "she's really agressive for a black velvet..."

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
@Hymai Mine is around 2.5" including legs, you can just see her in the photo. I got her at less that 0.5" 13 months ago and she's moulted 5 times in that time but the moults are getting further apart now, the last was 4 months after the previous one. Going by mine I'd guess yours is just over a year old although a lot depends on sex, temps and feeding, there is no way of telling age for certain..

micheldied

3 Year Member
You're sure it's a Lampropelma sp. Borneo Black, yes?

Molt frequency depends on several things, including feeding and temperature. Small slings can molt every few weeks, though some take longer. At that size I'd expect it to molt every maybe two to three months, with good feeding. Shorter or longer is possible, but as long as the sling is eating and appears healthy, you shouldn't worry. It's only been 5 days, it could just be settling in. Many reclusive species can take a long time to settle in to a new place.

Hymai

3 Year Member
Alright, that makes me feel better, and i know spiderlings must molt more often, just seeing what to expect.
I am 99.9% sure, she has the smaller abdomin with the faint tiger pattern. And not as fuzzy as the Black Velvet. My sister had her for a week or 2 before christmas and turned to her T community for help with a positive ID, and it came back unanimous. I would take a photo, but shes still in there.
Perhaps my sister can send me a pic, ill ask.

Hymai

3 Year Member
Here are the pictures of her, right after purchase. You can see "black velvet" on the plastic tub, but her tiger pattern is noticable, as well as that body shape.

Attachments

• 2015122295165316_3.jpg
    2015122295165316_3.jpg
    307.8 KB · Views: 42
  • 2015122295133959_3.jpg
    2015122295133959_3.jpg
    262.4 KB · Views: 40

micheldied

3 Year Member
I'm actually sure that's a Cyriapagopus (formerly Haplopelma), possibly "H. minax" although there are some taxonomic problems within the genus.

Lampropelma have unmistakable "fat pads" on their legs. I believe pet shops are also far more likely to be carrying Cyriapagopus than any Lampropelma. Someone should correct me if I'm wrong here, because I've never had an L. sp. Borneo Black.

If it is in fact a Cyriapagopus, you should be setting up the enclosure for a very deep burrower, and not an arboreal.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'm actually sure that's a Cyriapagopus (formerly Haplopelma), possibly "H. minax" although there are some taxonomic problems within the genus.

Lampropelma have unmistakable "fat pads" on their legs. I believe pet shops are also far more likely to be carrying Cyriapagopus than any Lampropelma. Someone should correct me if I'm wrong here, because I've never had an L. sp. Borneo Black.

If it is in fact a Cyriapagopus, you should be setting up the enclosure for a very deep burrower, and not an arboreal.
I think you're right. I don't own one either but comparing pics on google and the pic above showing the stripes on the abdomen I have to agree.

Hymai

3 Year Member
Is this what you mean? Because i don't feel she looks much like this. Im totally open to suggestions tho

Attachments

• maxresdefault.jpg
    maxresdefault.jpg
    374.2 KB · Views: 29

Hymai

3 Year Member
This is my L. sp Borneo Black before its last moult.

Now this makes it more interesting, because everything ive read says that they have a very small abdomin, which yours does not. Ah the mystery gets deeper

micheldied

3 Year Member
Yup, that's the one. Your's lacks the hairiness of the Lampropelma as well as the larger foot pads. The striping on the abdomen is slightly different as well. I've never heard of a pet shop having any of the rarer Lampropelma species, but they very often carry the Cyriapagopus.

Hymai

3 Year Member
Thank you guys for the help, any other possible breed suggestions would be appreciated, i just want to make sure im providing her with the correct neccessities:)

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Now this makes it more interesting, because everything ive read says that they have a very small abdomin, which yours does not. Ah the mystery gets deeper
That's because the one in the picture has eaten a lot and is probably nearing the end of its current molt cycle. Abdomen size is not an accurate way to determine sex or species, any tarantula can have a huge abdomen depending on how much it's eaten.

Latest posts