• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

HELP! What is this?

Simon Chen

3 Year Member
Found this green stuff growing on a branch in my obt enclosure, idk if I should take it out bc my obt burrowed and webbed right around this branch. Anybody know what this is and if its harmful to my obt?

Attachments

• DSC_0160.JPG
    DSC_0160.JPG
    705 KB · Views: 40

kaz

3 Year Member
deffo looks moldy. Where did you get the branch? When I was setting up my aquariums if you were to use pieces of wood you had to scrub it. Boil it up and even bake it if you wanted to be sure. If its a dead bit you got on the ground its likely to rot or go bad regardless, especially if conditions are kept moist!! If you got it from a pet store and had just stuck it in there you could try boil it etc and see if that helps if not id chuck it and get another. You could look around for some good bits if you have a woods or such near you!!

so you could give it a good scrub even use a little bleach and rinse well, put the specific piece into a bucket or something with which you can submerge it well and fill with boiling water. Once the waters cooled repeat. Then let it dry fully. I would stick bits in my airing cupboard or somewhere warm to dry it quicker, or if you don't mind sticking it in your oven you could bake it lol. Hope this helps!!

Last edited:

Therasoid

3 Year Member
Its fungi, most types aren't a hazard to a tarantula's health. This topic was covered, in detail, on another forum a few years back. [emoji6] For me, its somewhat of an eyesore and a focal point in an enclosure, rather than the tarantula.
Personally, I would remove the branch and replace with cork. If natural cork isn't available, most DIY stores sell squares of cork that you can form/cut.
Just my opinion.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Mold can be pretty dangerous to invertebrates. I would clean it out ASAP.

Latest posts