• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Help-Tarantula For My Son's 7th

mrpettit

Hi

I'm seeking a breeder to buy my son his first Tarantula for his 7th birthday and any advice on what Tarantula to start with. He has been obsessed with catching spiders around the house and loves his uncle's Tarantula he got back in October. I was look at a Mexican Red-Knee but not totally sure. We really want this first spider to be the easiest it can be so it will be enjoyed by my son and myself. We live in the town of Harvest in North Central Alabama.

Any help would be much appreciated!

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I second what phil said above, though I'm going to add another to the list @sdsnybny

A couple good species to start with are:

Grammostola pulchripes

Tliltocatl albopilosus (I started with a sling of this species)

Brachypelma hamorii

Brachypelma emilia

Aphonopelma hentzi (most would probably say Aphonopelma chalcodes, but they don't look as good nor eat as well as A. hentzi in my opinion.)

All of the species are raised the same way for the most part, but T. albopilosus like a little more moisture than the others, overflowing the water dish slightly can solve that.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Nothing wrong with a Mexican red knee, Brachypelma hamorii, as a first T although it's a slower grower it can live from 10 to 30 years, depending on male or female, respectively.

Konstantin

3 Year Member
Hi

I'm seeking a breeder to buy my son his first Tarantula for his 7th birthday and any advice on what Tarantula to start with. He has been obsessed with catching spiders around the house and loves his uncle's Tarantula he got back in October. I was look at a Mexican Red-Knee but not totally sure. We really want this first spider to be the easiest it can be so it will be enjoyed by my son and myself. We live in the town of Harvest in North Central Alabama.

Hi
You gave great suggestions made already.
I will only add that it may be better to start with a large juvenile or sub adult.Slings often burrow untill they put some size to them and are a bit more flighty than their bigger relatives that are often more calm and more visible.
And last word of advice is to never even think about handling your spider.Its not worth the risks.
Regards Konstantin

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Thanks for all the help guys! Yesterday I bought my habitat supplies, and should get them in the mail this week hopefully. I'll post a picture here letting you all know what I find. We are truly excited about this new and exciting hobby!
It'll start with 1 for your son and end with a large collection for yourself ;) a member on here recently bought a millipede for "her son" Not mentioning any names ;)

Baz

Hi

Mexican red knee is great for beginners one of the easiest to keep

Latest posts