• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Help me identify.

Foxspider

This T was at a family owned pet shop. Owner swore it to be (white knee) A. Geniculata but she looks to me to be a (Brazilian black and white) Nhandu Coloratovillosus. It’s about 4 inches. Thought? :rolleyes::)

Attachments

• FD016E43-68DD-4374-83BD-09E3DE74D5F2.jpeg
    FD016E43-68DD-4374-83BD-09E3DE74D5F2.jpeg
    486.4 KB · Views: 32
  • AC447843-626D-4276-BCB8-079ACD893B7B.jpeg
    AC447843-626D-4276-BCB8-079ACD893B7B.jpeg
    599.9 KB · Views: 31
  • 556D847C-C124-473B-9A1C-DF07A4C599BA.jpeg
    556D847C-C124-473B-9A1C-DF07A4C599BA.jpeg
    664.9 KB · Views: 30
  • 18942513-CD14-4A1A-8965-B73B2C315863.png
    18942513-CD14-4A1A-8965-B73B2C315863.png
    4.3 MB · Views: 32

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Heres a juvenile female A. geniculata...shes about 4". Your photos seam to lack natural light and seam blurry. It may just be my phone though...idk. You may be right though.
20191108_134144.jpg
20191013_105243.jpg

Last edited:

Nunua

3 Year Member
Yeah, definitely not A. geniculata - Also, I'm pretty sure that @Arachnoclown mentioned your photos lacking the natural light and being a tad blurry mostly because when identifying species it's always good to see sharp, natural colours to avoid mistakes that washed up or wrong showing tones may cause :)

Anyway, if the pet store owner was using only common names like "the Brazilian white-knee" and "the Brazilian black and white", it wouldn't be surprising that they just happened to label it wrong (maybe even when they got it since I don't know which vendor the T is originally from)... I mean, yours has white knees while genics have stripes, lol.

This is the main reason why we advice everyone here to use scientific names. Common names get easily mixed up.

Last edited:

Foxspider

Yeah, definitely not A. geniculata - Also, I'm pretty sure that @Arachnoclown mentioned your photos lacking the natural light and being a tad blurry mostly because when identifying species it's always good to see sharp, natural colours to avoid mistakes that washed up or wrong showing tones may cause :)

Anyway, if the pet store owner was using only common names like "the Brazilian white-knee" and "the Brazilian black and white", it wouldn't be surprising that they just happened to label it wrong (maybe even when they got it since I don't know which vendor the T is originally from)... I mean, yours has white knees while genics have stripes, lol.

This is the main reason why we advice everyone here to use scientific names. Common names get easily mixed up.
The pet store had her labeled as “fuzzy T” LOL

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
This T was at a family owned pet shop. Owner swore it to be (white knee) A. Geniculata but she looks to me to be a (Brazilian black and white) Nhandu Coloratovillosus. It’s about 4 inches. Thought? :rolleyes::)
I think you are on the right tracks with Nhandu Coloratovillosus. Nhandu chromatus often goes by the common name of 'white knee' but the carapace is not greyish and no prominent red hairs from what I can see so not a chromatus.
Deffo not a genic so I would say Nhandu Coloratovillosus based on the photos.
Below is pic of one of my genics to show how distinct the leg markings are and how the white also runs down the length of the leg and not a distinct band like the one you have shared.
20160507_084309.jpg

Last edited:

Foxspider

I think you are on the right tracks with Nhandu Coloratovillosus. Nhandu chromatus often goes by the common name of 'white knee' but the carapace is not greyish and no prominent red hairs from what I can see so not a chromatus.
Deffo not a genic so I would say Nhandu Coloratovillosus based on the photos.
Below is pic of one of my genics to show how distinct the leg markings are and how the white also runs down the length of the leg and not a distinct band like the one you have shared.
View attachment 42596
OH WOW! What a beauty!!! Thank you so much for the photo and opinion. Yes, I definitely agree with you, there was mix up at the store.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
OH WOW! What a beauty!!! Thank you so much for the photo and opinion. Yes, I definitely agree with you, there was mix up at the store.
That is my big girl 'Genie', my favourite T out of all the 177 I currently have...LOL

Latest posts