• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

HELP! I think my tarantula might be dying again

torstrum

3 Year Member
About a week and a half ago i bought a mexican red knee tarantula, she hasn't eaten yet(a few days ago I saw her drinking, it was at night and she's a spider so I assume that's when he does a lot of her moving around, but she hasn't eaten anything yet) when I got home she was just outside her hide, then I misted her, a couple of seconds later she was putting her legs on one side on the walls of the tank, and It looks as it she flipped herself of her side with 4 of her legs, I don't know if i shocked her(I misted her a little long, and it wasn't a very fine mist) or what, but she was fine a couple of minutes ago. she isn't moving(just be molting please Gerry!)

torstrum

3 Year Member
Best pic i could get

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 34

spiderengineer

3 Year Member
the standard molt position is on their back, but that is not always the case I have T's molt upright and on their side. the drinking water is also a good indication it was getting ready to molt as well. so just leave her alone and I won't be surprised if you see a T molting in a bit. note: she might not pop her carapace for a few hours so just be patient

torstrum

3 Year Member
She flipped onto her back, then when I tried to get her cricket out it crawled over to her corner, and is now under her front legs, any recomendations on how to deal with it? leave it? try to get it out from under her legs with a pair of tweezers of something(the cricket is touching them, and I'm sure he'll try to run/figit when I get him) or(doubt this is a good idea) should i try to move her to get it

spiderengineer

3 Year Member
She flipped onto her back, then when I tried to get her cricket out it crawled over to her corner, and is now under her front legs, any recomendations on how to deal with it? leave it? try to get it out from under her legs with a pair of tweezers of something(the cricket is touching them, and I'm sure he'll try to run/figit when I get him) or(doubt this is a good idea) should i try to move her to get it

wait and see if the cricket moves out from under it if not then try to prod it out with out disturbing the T

torstrum

3 Year Member
It walked out and I scooped it up, crisis averted, when I saw her on he side I was worried something else was up or she couldn't flip right, but it was all for naught

spiderengineer

3 Year Member
It walked out and I scooped it up, crisis averted, when I saw her on he side I was worried something else was up or she couldn't flip right, but it was all for naught

glad to here now just let her molt in peace could take some time so don't panic. once she molted wait at least two weeks to try and feed her if she does not eat it then take it out and wait a few more days.

DalilahBlue

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Last my juvie B. vagans molted it took over 8 hours. So just chill and enjoy. Don't bug her, or try to help. We are here if you have more questions.

Tgirl1010

3 Year Member
Normally they will make a molting mat before molting. Is there any webbing that she is laying on? What type of substrate do you have her on? You really don't have to mist a B smithi. Even at that size a small water dish overflowed now and again is fine. It also looks as if she has too much head space in that enclosure. A fall from just inches can be fatal for a t.

xray_chic

3 Year Member
I've read that here before, but I have a Lasiodora parahybana in a 20gal that falls about 10" every other day and has for years. It crawls to the top and sticks its leg out the air holes I have drilled in the plexiglass lid. The dirt substrate is about 4" thick, so perhaps that cushions the fall.

Tgirl1010

3 Year Member
I've read that here before, but I have a Lasiodora parahybana in a 20gal that falls about 10" every other day and has for years. It crawls to the top and sticks its leg out the air holes I have drilled in the plexiglass lid. The dirt substrate is about 4" thick, so perhaps that cushions the fall.
It only takes one wrong landing. I wouldn't chance a fall like that, but that's just me. I tend to be over protective about things lol.

spiderengineer

3 Year Member

you should add more substrate so that the height of the fall is shorten.

Latest posts