• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hello

Draiko

3 Year Member
Hi all, completely new to this hobby and will be picking up a spider in the next two days. I just have a few questions,

the pet store has three species. for almost a third of the price other pet shops around here,

-Brachypelma vagans
-Grammostola pulchripes
-Scarlet bird eater

To me the Brachypelma vagans looks the nicest and if it was completely up to me I'd go with that one. But is it the hardiest and a good choice for a first timer as I do not want to make a fatal mistake and kill it.

Thank you.

VanessaS

3 Year Member
I'm not sure what a Scarlet bird eater is, but the other two are perfectly fine for new comers to the hobby. Nearly anyone in the Brachypelma or Grammostola genus is a good choice for someone starting out... nearly. There are a couple who are a bit more of a challenge.
I have a few Brachypelma species, but not the vagans, and I love them. I also have a couple of G. pulchripes and I absolutely love them to death! Very hardy and forgiving to mistakes, very easy to maintain, and gorgeous to boot!
I have heard some say that their vagans is a bit on the cranky side, so my vote is being cast for the G. pulchripes for sure.
Welcome!
Here is a photo of my G. pulchripes juvenile female, who I adore!
_DSC9194-2-2.jpg

VanessaS

3 Year Member
Looks like the Scarlet Bird Eater is a Lasiodora species. I would not suggest that one for your very first tarantula. Although they have some really good things going for them - they are a challenge and not as forgiving.
I've had tarantulas for many years and only recently got a Lasiodora difficilis. It was not by choice - it was a freebie sent with a couple of others that I ordered. They are a bit out of my comfort zone right now, but I hope that this little spiderling will change that.

Lawrence b

3 Year Member
Hi
Draiko I do not have a B .vagan but do G.Pulchripes and agree with VanessaS that they are hardy and forgiving .They aslo can grow to an impressive 8inchs or more .

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Looks like the Scarlet Bird Eater is a Lasiodora species. I would not suggest that one for your very first tarantula. Although they have some really good things going for them - they are a challenge and not as forgiving.
I've had tarantulas for many years and only recently got a Lasiodora difficilis. It was not by choice - it was a freebie sent with a couple of others that I ordered. They are a bit out of my comfort zone right now, but I hope that this little spiderling will change that.
I've always thought any sp of Lasiodora was a great starter..they're tough, low venom, easy care, grow fast, get huge, great appetite..no cons, from where I'm sitting:)

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Welcome aboard. I like Brachypelma for beginners and advanced keepers. Go for it.

Rmac88

3 Year Member
Welcome! [emoji4] I will second the vote for any Brachypelma sp. Although I am biased ;) Lasiodora seem like they would be an ok starter, but from what I hear they get huge fast

Sent from my SPH-L520 using Tapatalk

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Anything on that list seems fine. Just pick your favorite adult look so it grows into something you enjoy.

Solitude's Pierrot

3 Year Member
Just pick according to your hearts content...

While I was choosing my first tarantula, I ententionally put my entire hand inside the terrarium and observe their reaction, some posing defense pose, some spraying their hairs, some attempt to bite. After those recklessness and idiocracry of mine ( please forgive for what I did 'cause I'm not knowledgable about those Ts yet) there's one T whom I take my interest, it actually climb to my hand and I said "yep, he/she's the one..." so I bought it..

leaveittoweaver

3 Year Member
I would also go with G.Pulchripes. B.Vagans can be cranky, and genus Lasiorda can be a little fast for a beginners comfort zone. I've also found juvenile L.parahybana to be fairly nervous compared to G.Pulchripes. Of course, this is just my experience and every individual varies. Good luck with whatever you decide!

Latest posts