• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hello

N'owl

3 Year Member
I'm N'owl and I am very new to keeping spiders. Over the years I've had/ cared for Leopard Geckos, beardies, Jacksons and Veiled Chameleons, tortoises and the like. I have avoided tarantulas due to my fear of them. My son has recently discovered them and has expressed a deep interest in getting one. We have been reading, researching and talking to different reptile people for the last few weeks. I didn't think he was serious..I was way wrong. I am looking forward to learning more about them and hopefully getting advice on making the best decision for him when the time comes to actually get one.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hi N'owl. There a quite a few of us on here that have had or still have a fear of spiders including me. Now I find the Ts don't worry me but I still don't like the spiders loose in the house. You will definitely get loads of good advice on here.

elektragrl

3 Year Member
Hello and welcome!! I'm right there with you Enn49 I love my Tarantulas but don't like them free in the house. I do have to say that joke about potato chips apples to Tarantulas. You can't stop at just one. An for a first time tarantula a rose hair or a Mexican red knee are good for when the time comes :) (in my opinion)

AndrewBush89

3 Year Member
Hi N'owl and welcome to the form there are a lot of knowledgeable people on here to help you. I am also have a fear of spiders but I'm slowly getting over it. elektragrl is right one is never enough I've only been in the hobbies for a few months and went from 2 to 6 tarantulas. Brachypelma Albopilosums are great starters. I started with G.Rosea but it can be temperamental and they don't all ways like to eat on regular basis. In fact mine just ate for the first time in about a month.

Therasoid

3 Year Member
Hello N'owl and welcome aboard!
Great that you've already developed some experience in keeping exotics. Same basic husbandry skills, feed, water and keeping the enclosure clean.
Please don't get a Grammostola Rosea ( aka: Chilean Rose Hair ) as your first T. As others posted, prone to mood swings, prolonged fasting and really don't move around much. B. albopilosum (aka: Honduran Curly Hair) are what I consider a good starter T. Grow to 6", very good eaters, easy to keep, hardy, out in the open and seems to always want to rearrange its enclosure. Another plus is the fact they are one of inexpensive species, even as juvenile or adult. In my area adults cost around $35. [emoji3]
Starting with New World terrestrials, IMO, is always best for beginners. Beware, they can and do kick urticatings hairs when agitated, only negative thing I can say about them.
Use the forums "search engine" , a lot of questions have already been answered there. If not, start a new thread and I'm sure someone will help.
Last warning: "This hobby is HIGHLY addictive!!". [emoji33]
Best wishes in the hobby.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I agree with Therasoid about the B. albopilosum being a great starter T. As small slings they tend to burrow but if kept in a clear container they are great fun to watch scuttling around down below, always busy, but once the reach around 1'' they tend to spend most of their time in the open.

I also agree about them being highly addictive.

AceTRetreat

3 Year Member
I echo what Enn and Therasoid say ... the Curly-Hair is a great first T .. I really enjoy mine .. slings really dig and once a tad older out all the time and moving about! I feel I must say I also have several Rose and they are very docile and calm ... but I do touch/test any of my T's before I try to deal with them unless climb out of tub on own and into my hand .. any T can be defensive or temperamental .... even Curls :)

Latest posts