• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hello guys! I'm new and I need help with my texas brown!

Tarantula0408

3 Year Member
Hey guys! I just got a Texas brown, maybe 4 inches in diameter, maybe 5, so I need to know what to feed them, how often, what are their needs? I am getting a 10 gallon tank for him, what do I need in there?

DalilahBlue

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
It honestly doesn't have the Grammostola look. If you found him outside it's likely a local Aphonopelma male in search of females. Unfortunately, once a male molts mature, he won't live very long. His job is to mate and either be eaten or die shortly thereafter. The best thing for the local population is to free him in the general area you found him so he can find mates to breed with.

spiderengineer

3 Year Member
yeah it looks like a mature male I would send him back out so he can fulfill his biological need and Grammostola are not native to north America the only genus that is native is Aphonopelma so that is most likely what species it is

DalilahBlue

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
He will do his best to find a mate. You will be doing what's best for the local population and him if you release him. In captivity he will die shortly as he as at the end of his life cycle.

Tarantula0408

3 Year Member
He will do his best to find a mate. You will be doing what's best for the local population and him if you release him. In captivity he will die shortly as he as at the end of his life cycle.
Oh man, that's not something I wanted to hear, I'll be releasing him, thanks
What tarantula would you recommend to a beginner?

spiderengineer

3 Year Member
its also possible he has already found a female before you caught him, by the looks of him he seems to have been on an adventure already and their is no evidence to say they only look for one female. so no harm no foul.

DalilahBlue

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
A Rosie was my first.

Thank you for doing the right thing. :)

As far beginner species anything Brachypelma (red knee, red leg) or Grammostola (Chaco golden knee, rose hair) are great.

Tarantula0408

3 Year Member
Wow cool!
If I use a 10 gallon with a depth of 5 inches of echo earth some decor, and a water dish? Is that good?
And I want to feed it mealworms, is that ok too?
My dad is still saying that u should keep it, but my rule is no wild caught animals
I want to release it and hopefully get a rise hair
By the way, that's a nice tarantula, is that a red knee?

spiderengineer

3 Year Member
Wow cool!
If I use a 10 gallon with a depth of 5 inches of echo earth some decor, and a water dish? Is that good?
And I want to feed it mealworms, is that ok too?
My dad is still saying that u should keep it, but my rule is no wild caught animals
I want to release it and hopefully get a rise hair
By the way, that's a nice tarantula, is that a red knee?
a ten gallon is considered overkill for a rose, but you can use it if you want to, as far as substrate depth you want to add enough so that if they were to climb the wall then if they fell the fall would not be fatal to them. the rule of how much substrate to add. is usually the length between the lid and the substrate should be no greater the the length of the spider. also I would recommend getting a copy of this http://www.amazon.com/The-Tarantula-Keepers-Guide-Comprehensive/dp/0764138855

DalilahBlue

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Yes, the T in my avatar is Sally, my B. smithi, aka Red Knee. They are good beginner T's, as well as Rose Hairs.

And The Tarantula Keepers Guide is like the Arachnologists' Bible. :)

Latest posts