• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hello from Florida

TwinkleToes19

Greetings all,

My name is Juliet, a newcomer to the hobby. I currently own a juvenile Curly Toe tarantula named Twinkle Toes. I am excited to see where this new journey takes me!
I forgot to add a little more about myself, I am a phlebotomist tech from Florida. I decided to get a tarantula while searching for an appropriate pet with my current living situation. I'm very excited to own one and I'm open to any suggestions and advice as a newcomer. Also some advice on keeping live feeder crickets would be nice too,

TwinkleToes19

IMG_20230309_204418337.jpg
This is a few good pics of my T. Albo

Attachments

• IMG_20230309_204425541.jpg
    IMG_20230309_204425541.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 3

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Greetings all,

My name is Juliet, a newcomer to the hobby. I currently own a juvenile Curly Toe tarantula named Twinkle Toes. I am excited to see where this new journey takes me!
I forgot to add a little more about myself, I am a phlebotomist tech from Florida. I decided to get a tarantula while searching for an appropriate pet with my current living situation. I'm very excited to own one and I'm open to any suggestions and advice as a newcomer. Also some advice on keeping live feeder crickets would be nice too,
First off welcome to the forum and the hobby.

Crickets are annoying and have an unpleasant odor. If you have access to superworms and mealworms, they make for better feeders. They are both simple to raise and don’t have the stench that crickets do. All the slings I’ve raised would readily take mealworm/superworm pieces. The juvie T. albopilosus you posted a picture of looks big enough to take whole mealworms.

TwinkleToes19

First off welcome to the forum and the hobby.

Crickets are annoying and have an unpleasant odor. If you have access to superworms and mealworms, they make for better feeders. They are both simple to raise and don’t have the stench that crickets do. All the slings I’ve raised would readily take mealworm/superworm pieces. The juvie T. albopilosus you posted a picture of looks big enough to take whole mealworms.
I might do that, but aren't mealworms too fatty to use as a main feeder? I may be wrong, but if I remember correctly they do have a higher fat content. Currently, I'm only feeding my juvie crickets but I'm open to change if there are better options like the mealworms.

Reptisect

3 Year Member
I might do that, but aren't mealworms too fatty to use as a main feeder? I may be wrong, but if I remember correctly they do have a higher fat content. Currently, I'm only feeding my juvie crickets but I'm open to change if there are better options like the mealworms.
For reptiles and amphibians that would be the case. I personally feed my T's primarily mealworms but I want to switch to roaches of various species. Crickets are fine but I find them annoying in every possible way XD

mrsoul1974

3 Year Member
Hello and welcome aboard!

I feed my T's mostly redrunners. I don't think you are allowed to keep them in FL. If that's the case, you have crickets, mealworms, an super worms to use.