• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hello Entonerds : )

Stacie

3 Year Member
Hello!

I am new to this forum and very excited to be here. I have been an entomology nerd my entire life and have begun to really get interested in collecting tarantulas recently. I currently have an Antilles Pink Toe (Avicularia Versicolor) named Thistle, a Goliath Pink Toe (Avicularia Braunshauseni) named Helena, 2 Brazilian Black's (Grammostola Pulchra) named River and Clarice, A Pumpkin Patch (Hapalopus Sp.) named Jack, a Columbian Giant Redleg (Megaphobema Robustum) named Cuddles, and a Chaco Golden Knee (Grammostola Pulchripes) named Chaco. In the past I have had a Mexican red knee, a pink toe and a rosehair.

I also own other reptiles/insects: Vinegaroon ( named Scamper), Death Feigning Beetles (named John, Paul, George & Ringo), a Budwing Mantis (named Manny), a Whipspider (named Andronicus), a fishing spider, Two Irian Jaya x Coastal Carpet Pythons (named Anna & Nemo), a water snake (named Mogwaii), a red trapdoor spider (named Lecter), Koi, catfish, lots of other fish, Dragons (named One-Two & Bugg), a duck (named Prim), Madagascar hissers & dubia roaches, a Pacman frog (named Jabba), multiple bee hives, and a fire-bellied Argentine Black & White Tegu that I am still trying to find the right name for.

I am planning on expanding my tarantula collection in the near future. I like to get my T's as babies and raise them. So far my T's have come from exotic pet stores and reptile expos but I am planning on ordering a bunch of spiderlings online in the near future (if anyone has a good recommendation about where I should order them from it would be much appreciated). Also, feel free to recommend species I might want to add to my collection. I prefer to have spiders I can handle (so nothing mean or with a medically significant bite). I would also like to get into breeding in the near future (which is why I have a pumpkin patch in my collection).

-Stacie (Bug Girl)

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Welcome. Nice collection you've got there. I can recommend a lot of good online breeders to you. I'm not sure how long you've been in the hobby for, but you'll probably end up learning a lot here either way. Personally I am very anti-handling when it comes to these animals, and I feel it is just too risky and really not worth it at the end of the day. Since you don't have any OW species, I suppose it's not a huge deal. Although I wouldn't dream of handling an M.robustum.

Stacie

3 Year Member
Welcome. Nice collection you've got there. I can recommend a lot of good online breeders to you. I'm not sure how long you've been in the hobby for, but you'll probably end up learning a lot here either way. Personally I am very anti-handling when it comes to these animals, and I feel it is just too risky and really not worth it at the end of the day. Since you don't have any OW species, I suppose it's not a huge deal. Although I wouldn't dream of handling an M.robustum.

I hold my M. Robustum. He is a little bit speedy, but pretty manageable. Is it his bite the reason you wouldn't hold him or his temperament?

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I hold my M. Robustum. He is a little bit speedy, but pretty manageable. Is it his bite the reason you wouldn't hold him or his temperament?
Temperament. Plus terrestrials aren't really built to take a fall. Like I said, it just isn't worth losing a tarantula so I can hold it.

Stacie

3 Year Member
Temperament. Plus terrestrials aren't really built to take a fall. Like I said, it just isn't worth losing a tarantula so I can hold it.

I hold them when I am sitting in bed when it's something flightly like that. If he ran off he wouldn't fall far and he'd hit a soft surface and be fine.

What breeders do you recommend?

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hi Stacie,

Welcome aboard. Happy to have someone with your "bug" knowledge on the forum. There is a section on vendor review that you should check out but Chubbs are a great short list to start shopping.

Latest posts