• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Harmonicon oiapoqueae

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Meet Creep, The Eight Legged Freak. This is my son's early birthday present (not 'til next month) but it arrived today. Fun and games rehousing it, first it ran up his arm then as I tried to get a piece of paper under the catch cup it made another bid for freedom and ended up on my arm. This time we successfully got into its new home. It's just 1cm dls.

DSCF6123.JPG

DSCF6125 (3).JPG

Dave Jay

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I looked them up and found images, they look stunning! I couldn't find much information on them (10 min search on my phone, by no means an exhaustive search), perhaps a quick overview/introduction Enn?

Dave Jay

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
The only site I found is this http://www.terrarium.com.pl/1947-harmonicon-oiapoqueae/ but it needs translating. Conditions seem to be fairly moderate and they grow to 4-5" dls.
Thanks! I did see a few "non english" articles but didn't look at them, my phone did a great job of translating that one, I should have tried others.
Interesting write up, but just general hobbyist observations mostly. A Polish hobbyist keeping a Brazilian spider! That's good search info though, at least now we can search "spiders of Brazil" or similar and maybe get some more information.
It sounds like a really interesting spider, lots of arboreal webbing but it ambushes prey from a burrow!
If you (or your lucky son) keep a journal you'll have lots of valuable information to pass on to the hobby.
I found adverts for the spider but they don't even include a basic description which I found unusual.
I think you're in for great experience!

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Thanks! I did see a few "non english" articles but didn't look at them, my phone did a great job of translating that one, I should have tried others.
Interesting write up, but just general hobbyist observations mostly. A Polish hobbyist keeping a Brazilian spider! That's good search info though, at least now we can search "spiders of Brazil" or similar and maybe get some more information.
It sounds like a really interesting spider, lots of arboreal webbing but it ambushes prey from a burrow!
If you (or your lucky son) keep a journal you'll have lots of valuable information to pass on to the hobby.
I found adverts for the spider but they don't even include a basic description which I found unusual.
I think you're in for great experience!

I did ask Orion at spidersworld.eu and this was his reply " They grown quite big 10-12cm legspan. HUmidity and temperature just a middle range." I may have been put off getting him it if it needed extreme care.
Yesterday it had started a burrow at the foot of the cork bark, doing what I had expected. This morning I expected to find it webbing up the bark/plant but no, it has moved to another corner of the container where there is nothing to anchor web too.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Creep seems to be settling in well, already built a small burrow and is sitting at the entrance.
DSCF6150 (3).JPG

We decided to drop a small cricket in, there was no hesitation, Creep pounced grabbed the cricket and dragged it down its burrow.
DSCF6156 (2).JPG

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
10 days since Creep arrived and it seems to have settled really well. It has built a burrow right in the corner of the container and webbed a full 1.5" quadrant from the burrow. Creep will disappear down the burrow as soon as the container is moved but drop a cricket in and it'll shoot out and pounce in the blink of an eye.

DSCF6267 (3).JPG

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Creep has moulted overnight. When I picked its container up it shot down the burrow but as soon as I moved the old exo Creep was there ready to attack.
DSCF6426 (3).JPG

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Gorgeous species and quite rare here in the U.S. Keep us posted as I for one am interested in learning more. Thanks.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Creep is thriving, loves its food and will happily grab 2 small crickets. Tonight it killed both crickets but left them while I moved its container, choosing to run for the burrow but it was soon back out chomping away.

DSCF6865 (2).JPG

Last edited:

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Creep has had a very shiny butt for the last week so I wasn't surprised to find it moulting just as I was going to bed last night. My son will be cross to have missed it.
DSCF6913 (2).JPG

DSCF6917 (2).JPG

And this morning Creep has retreated to its burrow. It looks to be developing some of its adult colours.
DSCF6918 (2).JPG

Ny0ka

I just got hold of an adult female and am really looking forward to the upcoming adventure. Already have 30 Ts but wanted a new project. Info is hard to come by with these so will post up with any news and pics once shes settled in and webbed etc. No idea where she is right now.
20230601_160515.jpg