• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Haplopelma extended molt?

LilWeezyAnna

3 Year Member
Hello Tarantulaforum,

I seek advice on my Haplopelma lividum and I hope one of you may be able to help. He/she stopped eating about three weeks ago in prep for a molt. It is currently under its log wrapped in its own silk having molted I think (I can see part of the exuvium). However, it has not come out in about ten days and I am quite worried. I tried gently spraying some water around it so it can drink. I'm not bothering it but does anyone know anything to do? Anything I can do? It is my evil irate little companion and I would like to help it out. Thank you for any info

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hello
This is just my preference how I keep mine,thus not a rule. Mine is kept with a lot of substrate,since it is a burrower(Fossorial). I keep the substrate moist as well,I don't let it dry out. Keeping a Haplopelma lividum in a cage with little substrate,will keep it above ground but never happy. Now as for the molting,a molt can take from minutes up to hours in end depending on the specimens size.

The same can be said about post molt,the hardening and stretching could take hours up to days some very large specimens a week or two. I would say depending on your specimens size,any of the above may apply. First signs of hardening can be seen on the fangs which will go from white with red,to black. There might still be signs,like stretching looking like the T is doing aerobic exercises so don't stress too much.

Last edited:

foritxxar

3 Year Member
I've heard of spiders chilling in their burrow for over a month after a molt before. I've even heard of T's disappearing for a year or more. It's probably nothing. :) How big is it?