• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hapalopus sp. Colombia "pumpkin patch" large

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Today was a good day, my local USPS carrier brought me 2 new friends, a pair of 3/4"-1" H. sp. large

These guys are awesome, so small and already full adult coloring. Here are a few pics

Emerging from it's vial
emerging sling.png

A new home
IMG_20200520_134930.jpg

Settling in and starting to explore
IMG_20200520_145840.jpg

IMG_20200520_145851.jpg

These guys are TINY in the 24oz deli cups I'm housing them in, but following husbandry notes from @Tomoran I wanted to give them around 3" of sub to burrow in and good surface space to web. I created starter burrows under the cork bark using the end of a sharpie; the are both using their burrows. Might feed them today.

After doing my research I found a nice deal here on the pair from @Sharno :) :T: Thanks so much!

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Both these slings webbed and sealed up the hides I made for them (cork flats with starter burrows underneath) within the first 2 days of arrival.

One of them used the starter burrow, the other decided to dig its own and I just realized, molted! Looks like it happened yesterday, maybe the day before. Calling it PP#1.
IMG_20200527_184559.jpg

Just took a closer look at PP#2, the other one, and it is upside down at the mouth of the burrow, I suspect it will molt tonight.
IMG_20200527_184735.jpg

Bad pic but time will tell.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
For @Bethan567

The enclosures are basic 4oz deli cups that the market sells salads in. I filled 2/3 with substrate, use a soldering iron to burn air holes all round for ventilation. I added moss and cork bark chunk that I cut from a slab and shaped to size. I made a starter burrow against the side and hot glued the cork bark chunks to the side of the enclosures and decorated with moss and added a bottle cap water dish. The spiders adapted the burrows and hides accordingly as spiders do.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
These guys have been holed up since molting last week and I've been watering around the burrows to keep moisture up

Yesterday PP#1 started digging itself out of it's burrow hide, so I guess it is hungry!

I fed it a smaller medium-sized cricket last night that wandered around, drinking a lot of water, making noise, drawing the T out of it's hide. It was a serious chess match that I was too tired to watch.

This morning, cricket gone.

PP#2 is still holed up. Guess it's not ready for a cricket delivery, or maybe it wants DiGiorno

menavodi

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member

Latest posts