• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Handling?

shatteredpast7

I agree with so many things said here but can't help wonder if our certitude that they have a simple brain could not be linked to our current brain capacity and/or the level of our scientific knowledge? What is to say that in the future we won't discover more as studies on them progress. Not so long ago their was a certitude the earth was flat, that earth was the center of the universe or that the sun was orbiting around us and do not get me started with talking fire bush, walking on water or a planet created in 7 days.... Hoping that we will learn one day that after all they might not have an intelligence the way we define it but a different kind altogether. Fingers crossed.
P.S: I am quite sure many of my Ts are messing up their water dishes within hours of me cleaning and replacing them just to piss me off :D
Meanwhile tarantulas hold the secret to life itself and we just don't know it. Tarantula has unlocked 100% brain lol

Raptorsnap07

This comes up a reasonable amount. It s certainly not good for a T to be handled, mainly because it puts that at unnecessary risk of harm via a fall. Sometimes it is not possible to avoid handelling a T, as they will at times just climb onto you.

The safest way to handle a T, is not to do it. But if you really want to, then do it over a table, whilst you are seated & do so a few millimetres, not inches above the table. There are 25 millimetres to an inch.
I handle my pink toe on my queen sized bed so that if she crawls off my hand I have time to pick her up again and it’s nice soft cushion keeps the spider safe. That’s the best way I have found to hold a T

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I handle my pink toe on my queen sized bed so that if she crawls off my hand I have time to pick her up again and it’s nice soft cushion keeps the spider safe. That’s the best way I have found to hold a T
Hi,
Please keep in mind when putting your Avicularia avicularia that they do have urticating hair (Type 2). Although they do not "kick" hair like new world terrestrials do, their urticating hair is released by contact.
Hoping this helps.

Smithtam2

I handle mine. Handle at your own risk. It is not good or bad for them. Some tolerate it, some don't like it, most just don't care. It is only bad if the spider bites you and you smash them out of fear and pain. They don't gain anything from of it.

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
It is only bad if the spider bites you and you smash them out of fear and pain.

The chances of dropping a T or having it run up your arm & out of easy handling position & thus into a much less than ideal position is far more likely than being bitten. Also if being bitten is a risk, it says the T is feeling threatened & is very unhappy & that you, the human, have probably thought more about yourself & your wants, than the needs or the behaviour of the T.

There are many situations where handling can be bad for the T. But it can always be done in ways which minimise the risks & which takes the T into consideration.

A good example of a poor T to handle is an Avic avic, as it's natural defence is to jump, so handling is only safe if your hand is on a surface & preferably a large, uncluttered, soft one. As that minimises risks to the T if it jumps & runs for cover. Always try to handle where the T has room to move safely & you have a reasonable time & chance of being able to safely contain it. So an uncluttered area is safer than a cluttered one.