• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Growing ghost peppers

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Forgot to mention that I make salsa verde with enough heat that nobody can handle (I can, but barely)
Oh pan....gotta share! I love to eat hot peppers. I started with jalapenos at the the age of 3!!! I would eat them like candy straight out the jar. Now jalapenos aren't too hot but you gotta look at the age, lol....I was 3 years old!! I've had quite a few hot peppers in my time.....tempted to try the reaper.

IamKrush

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
The recipe is a family secret, but I will let one slip: ghost peppers (how many is the mystery for the unsuspecting), cerrano (not hot, but I use them because they are available). I use other peppers as well, but that is classified.
Where do you get the ghost peppers? I cant seem to find them locally. Do you order them online?

IamKrush

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Oh pan....gotta share! I love to eat hot peppers. I started with jalapenos at the the age of 3!!! I would eat them like candy straight out the jar. Now jalapenos aren't too hot but you gotta look at the age, lol....I was 3 years old!! I've had quite a few hot peppers in my time.....tempted to try the reaper.
I have zero issues eating jalapenos. But i feel them apon exiting:eek:. I wonder how bad a reaper would feel...

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I decided a few weeks ago that if my future E. Sp. Red breeding project goes well, I would send out free samples of the salsa (as a celebration of success) to select members on the three forums. That is the only thing I will say on the culinary masterpiece.

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Where do you get the ghost peppers? I cant seem to find them locally. Do you order them online?
I have an uncle that lives in San Antonio Tx that sends them to me. I am going to try growing some myself this year. (I'll grow them in a greenhouse, as humidity could be an issue). I believe my uncle is bringing seeds with him when he comes up north soon (along with some more good food).

IamKrush

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I have an uncle that lives in San Antonio Tx that sends them to me. I am going to try growing some myself this year. (I'll grow them in a greenhouse, as humidity could be an issue). I believe my uncle is bringing seeds with him when he comes up north soon (along with some more good food).
That's cool you have a family member who ships them to you. What pepper have you grown so far?

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Are you sure you can handle it, even just smelling the salsa is brutal to the victims....cough....oh, I mean taste testers

Idk if I could or not....that bad huh? I like hot peppers. Haven't tipped the scoville yet but I've eaten some pretty hot ones. Victims??? Lmao....pan, you hiding their bodies in your basement?

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
ghost peppers suck :p i'm one of those that would rather be able to taste my food with the heat, so habenero is about as hot as i go. However you gotta try them once right? So be prepared :D my lips turned red and were swollen for about an hour, the burn from the ghost pepper lasted a good 30 agonizing minutes, don't drink or try and get the burn to leave by any of the housewives remedies (sugar, baking soda, etc.), it just makes it worse.

Oh and wear gloves if you're preparing the pepper for cooking, nitril gloves not the cotton kitchen gloves, and don't get any of the raw juice near your face, the ghost pepper is the most commonly used pepper for the base of military grade pepper spray.

And the one thing to remember, use less, the heat increases over time. So if you make like a chili dish and use the ghost to spice it up, then put the left overs in the fridge for a quick dinner a few days later, that quick dinner will be hotter than the original meal. This is true with all chili peppers though, they mature and increase in heat. So if you're looking for the hottest possible heat from your pepper, use it at it's ripest state, just before it starts to turn bad.

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
ghost peppers suck :p i'm one of those that would rather be able to taste my food with the heat, so habenero is about as hot as i go. However you gotta try them once right? So be prepared :D my lips turned red and were swollen for about an hour, the burn from the ghost pepper lasted a good 30 agonizing minutes, don't drink or try and get the burn to leave by any of the housewives remedies (sugar, baking soda, etc.), it just makes it worse.

Oh and wear gloves if you're preparing the pepper for cooking, nitril gloves not the cotton kitchen gloves, and don't get any of the raw juice near your face, the ghost pepper is the most commonly used pepper for the base of military grade pepper spray.

And the one thing to remember, use less, the heat increases over time. So if you make like a chili dish and use the ghost to spice it up, then put the left overs in the fridge for a quick dinner a few days later, that quick dinner will be hotter than the original meal. This is true with all chili peppers though, they mature and increase in heat. So if you're looking for the hottest possible heat from your pepper, use it at it's ripest state, just before it starts to turn bad.

I've noticed that cooking a pepper actually increases the intensity of the capsaicin. Would you agree?

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
In Latino households, hot peppers are what is used as a substitute for soap when kids would mouth off to the parents or grandparents. I did that once when I was 4 and never did it again.

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I use that method for my daughter. My aunt & parents use to use soap/dish detergent but I'm not doing that because there's chemicals in soap....so I use a hot pepper when she lies or back talks.

Latest posts