• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Greetings, from Lebanon!

Edmund Hanna

3 Year Member
Hello,
I didn't have an interest in spiders before a year ago. If anything, I was just another arachnophobe... It all started with reading some stuff online and watching videos of spiders, because they're scary and deadly, right? right?

Well, I was terribly afraid of them. Would have kept my distance and tried to kill it with anything I could find back then. Luckily (for me and the spideys), big ones are a rare sight in Lebanon. But after learning that they're almost harmless, and as a Psychology student, I'd hoped I could find some one day, you could say it's as a form of exposure to my object of fear. Never seen one bigger than my nail, until I moved to this apartment two months ago...

But by then I'd already cleared most misconceptions about them, and was very eager to confront the first spider I found here. I was on my toes until I put a tupperware over it! It was a Huntsman Heteropoda. Since then all the hardcore research started. Two weeks later I let the spider go, after attempting to handle it, but was too anxious seeing how fast it was...

Not two days later I found a Chaetopelma Ovilaceum in my living room. I trapped it, and am keeping it as a pet now. It's quite pretty, but a little too eager to be defensive/aggressive.
AtXxjkrEnkyZ06CcJYEKgOi2yVDyzsXhjO-7-HGKSBDO.jpg

Some week later, I found a Heteropoda Variegata tangled in web.
AtDXcjloFljNeqjZagHWBM4HUR2gXmdthlk7QkWXDALg.jpg

He lost a limb in it... :C

So, I helped him out, then put him back on the balcony (where I found him)...
Few days later, I woke up at 3 AM for a cup of water when I noticed he was on the side of my bed, just next to my head.
I'm very comfortable handling him now, though. I think I went a long way in this venture against Arachnophobia
AnxU9UHF4afeGPJ_bTMccqU4zTH0fhY2rlZFkI2F2ro2.jpg

And that's about my story for now. It's a bit long, and being the only person in the country that is keeping a tarantula, I got a bit talkative here :p

What's your story?

Megan Wright

3 Year Member
First, welcome to the forum! Second, welcome to the world of arachnophilia! I love to hear about people who took the time to research spiders and find that they are actually super cool! I recently got into the T owning field, but spiders have always been fascinating to me. I think it's in large part due to my father, because when I was young he would catch spiders in the house, show them too me in a cup, then have me help put them outside. He always taught me that I had nothing to fear, and I love him for it, thanks Dad!

Latest posts