• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Grammastola Pulchra baught a plant to rehome this black beauty

Hi folks.

So I decided to upgrade her home (assuming sex), and what do you guys think?
(I'm really itchy now!) Does this look OK, to big?

I have no clue what this plant is, but it seemed perfect. If anyone knows this plant please let me know, and if its safe. Was told it was safe for them when bought.. Think it's the exo Trerra range of live plants.

How do i stop the itching! I wore gloves.. But my face is so itchy.

Attachments

• IMG_20210204_203942~2.jpg
    IMG_20210204_203942~2.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 29

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Looks a little wet in there for a Grammostola...id let it dry out. I dont know about the plant...looks a little spikey to me. As for the itchy skin...you probably had your face too close when removing the old substate. You can try to use tape on your face to grab some of the urticating hairs. Other then that your going to be uncomfortable for a few days.

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
But my face is so itchy.

I find the one a day hayfever tablets (Antihistamine's.) Are the best cure. They may not work 100% every time, but they do work 100%, 95% of the time, even with LP's, stirmi's & blondi's & at under £1 for 14 tablets, they are worth keeping around the house.

If you have a branch of Savers close by, I buy 14 Loratadine tablets from them for about 80p.

https://www.savers.co.uk/Health/Allergy/Allergy-Tablets-&-Wipes/Galpharm-Hayfever-&-Allergy-Loratadine-14s/p/463755

Looks a little wet in there for a Grammostola...id let it dry out. I dont know about the plant...looks a little spikey to me. As for the itchy skin...you probably had your face too close when removing the old substate. You can try to use tape on your face to grab some of the urticating hairs. Other then that your going to be uncomfortable for a few days.
@Arachnoclown

Thank you for the advice. It's given me a different perspective.

Yes, sorry I forgot to mention, I had over watered due too the plant just being freshly planted (and looks more dried out now), as the substrate needed misting (it was fairly dry).
As the plant pot was bone dry (only baught the plant today), the plant is somewhat ridged, the spikes are not sharp to the touch, they also do not seem to be overly bendy (thought the spider won't crush the plant and would be sturdy enough for the plant to hold the spider's weight) could the plant spikes hurt my sling? Don't want a plant to cause harm.
It just seemed the perfect size. It was one of the smallest plants available.
Are their specific plants more suitable for them, if so, can you educate me please an I will change the plant.
Was going to get the disc plant, but was worried that would get crushed, but it was a softer plant.

This was taken as soon as I had misted. Its dried out a fair bit now, plant has soaked up a fair bit, they are not this wet usually. Also did wonder if I had over done it with the water.

That's an idea, thanks.
I wonder if I am sensitive to the hairs, as my lips & eyes have been feeling really ittitated and stingy/tingly?
Maybe I should use a face mask/shield for rehouse purposes. I see now why people go for old worlds.

As after washing ect, it seemed to not help at all, an got worse. Probably just made it worse by smearing the hairs everywhere.
Maybe I should just get larger cages, and keep rehousing to a minimum, as I didn't seem this bad last time. Feel like a wussy.

I find the one a day hayfever tablets (Antihistamine's.) Are the best cure. They may not work 100% every time, but they do work 100%, 95% of the time, even with LP's, stirmi's & blondi's & at under £1 for 14 tablets, they are worth keeping around the house.

If you have a branch of Savers close by, I buy 14 Loratadine tablets from them for about 80p.

https://www.savers.co.uk/Health/Allergy/Allergy-Tablets-&-Wipes/Galpharm-Hayfever-&-Allergy-Loratadine-14s/p/463755
@m0lsx
Thats also a great idea!
Pritty sure I have some around here somewhere.
As I react badly to red ant's, so have them on hand when gardening... I won't be surprised if I am just sensitive to these things.
Hopefully over time, my body will get used to them.

I can't help you with the plants...maybe someone else can. I dont use live plants. They're a pain and most terrestrial spiders dig them up anyways. Plus alot of terrestrial tarantulas are not into the additional moisture. Fake plants for me.View attachment 53476View attachment 53477
Thanks for your honesty.

Your enclosure is verry appealing.
And will be good to use as a reference.

I will see how mine gets on with this. Tka for the heads up.
I do like the look of greenery an tend to use fake, although with this one, thought I'd give it a go using a mix.

Also, found the name for this plant -

"Earth Star (Cryptanthus sp.)"​

Apparently it's one of those plants that seem to be recognised as an oxygen purification plant (or along those lines) an helps with their book lung air exchange.
Would be nice If the G. Pulchra doesn't dig it up. If S/he does as S/he grows, will just change over to fake.
Would love for them to not dig them up and have them in a nice planted.

None of my tarantulas dug up plants. I guess it depends on the size of the enclosure as well. I use small ferns and and Ficus pumilar. Look at the pic below. :)
View attachment 53511The spider lives in the hole on the right side.
@menavodi
Thanks for the info.
How big is your enclosure?
That looks verry nice.
If the enclosures larger does that stop them digging the plants up?

Wow, that 2nd one is lovely! I really like that one.
Really want to get a larger enclosure I can do up like this.
Would moss spores or a moss plant be OK to use? Something that won't spread too much.
What about air plants like the rainbow ones that have purple and yellow Spiked flowers or something like hanging Spanish moss?
As I was thinking along those lines.

menavodi

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
@menavodi
Thanks for the info.
How big is your enclosure?
That looks verry nice.
If the enclosures larger does that stop them digging the plants up?
I will measure the sizes of those later today. I am not sure if the size has to do with digging. I have smaller ones and bigger ones. I think it might be the plants that I am using. :)

menavodi

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Wow, that 2nd one is lovely! I really like that one.
Really want to get a larger enclosure I can do up like this.
Would moss spores or a moss plant be OK to use? Something that won't spread too much.
What about air plants like the rainbow ones that have purple and yellow Spiked flowers or something like hanging Spanish moss?
As I was thinking along those lines.
I never was lucky with any moss. I think they need too much water. Here are the sizes of those I showed earlier:

Where I said the spider lives in the hole on the right side is a cube. 12” each side. The others have the same size. 18” wide, 18” deep and 24” high.

I hope this helps a little.

menavodi

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
To give you the measurements in cm:
The cube is 30x30x30 cm
And the other 2 are 46 cm wide, 46 cm deep and 61cm high...:)

Latest posts