• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Got my first~!

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I think I want to start with slings on most of them,
I like the idea of seeing them grow and change
But I have to say 1 cm seems frighteningly small!

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Your Boehmei looks about the same size as mine, which I also believe to be male (couldn't find any "flap" on his last molt). I agree, they're great spiders, very entertaining (digging, fighting with the tongs or water), lots of character and a greedy pig.
My GBB is nice, too, lovely colours and webbing, good eater and always visible. Funnily enough, it has been the only one of my 9 that has ever flicked at me, lol. TBF, it's only little, so it didn't have the desired effect (I was taking its molt out).
If you go for an LP, I'd go for a sling, because it's so nice to see them grow (so fast). Mine arrived at about 1cm leg span and has more than doubled in size in about a year.
Out of my 2 GBB, the little one was fond of kicking hair as a sling, pretty much every time I opened his enclosure. He's calmed down quite a bit though, and pretty much ignores me for the most part, now. I love the appetite they have, some of my favorite attacks were from GBB slings, full on MMA matches with rolling around and rear naked chokes and arm bars, lol :)

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Don't worry they're pretty much the same as larger Ts to look after. I was scared when I got my first slings but soon realized they're not difficult and some of them were only 0.5cm.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
ull be fine. :) u have all of us now! :)
And you have no idea how much better that honestly makes me feel~!

@MassExodus
lol~! Sounds fun! Really Cant wait to have one,
For me, A little attitude is a good thing, it gives them a bit of character.
Don't necessarily want one that tries to tag me every time I feed it though.
Need way more experience before attempting that.

My plan is to raise these till they need rehousing then refill the enclosures.
Its my excuse for new ones...cant have useless enclosures just sitting around :p

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Don't worry they're pretty much the same as larger Ts to look after. I was scared when I got my first slings but soon realized they're not difficult and some of them were only 0.5cm.
Assuming these are the ones you keep in the little vials...I have several candy containers that would be perfect...I even steam cleaned them in the dishwasher...this could be very bad....very very bad.....I have six empty enclosures now! :)

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Assuming these are the ones you keep in the little vials...I have several candy containers that would be perfect...I even steam cleaned them in the dishwasher...this could be very bad....very very bad.....I have six empty enclosures now! :)

Yes, I keep the tiny ones in 1" diameter vials. You are definitely hooked lol. I have a few empty vials now and it's soooo hard not to fill them although hopefully at the end of the month I'm ordering 2 more from a site in Poland.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Yes, I keep the tiny ones in 1" diameter vials. You are definitely hooked lol. I have a few empty vials now and it's soooo hard not to fill them although hopefully at the end of the month I'm ordering 2 more from a site in Poland.
Not to be annoying, my containers are 1.5 inches diameter, screw on lid and a bit over two inches in depth, is that enough for a half inch sling? seems to be but feel its better to check before investing in more.
Have plenty of really small bits of corkbark and eco earth on order...even some moss in a little bag, all im missing is the inhabitants ^^

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Not to be annoying, my containers are 1.5 inches diameter, screw on lid and a bit over two inches in depth, is that enough for a half inch sling? seems to be but feel its better to check before investing in more.
Have plenty of really small bits of corkbark and eco earth on order...even some moss in a little bag, all im missing is the inhabitants ^^

They'll be fine. I got a few just like that with a couple of Ts I bought off eBay (the seller also has a website) and used them until the Ts outgrew them.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
ah~! beautiful!
So many I want to have 'someday' just have to do it a step at a time until I feel like
I can give them what they need to be happy. Once I have these a decent size and get the next two,
then....I'm going to get a Lasiodora parahybana. I have dreams of a nice 20L tank set up beautifully for that one ^^
That's a lot of space. LPs don't usually get past 7-8 inches. People have a tendency to exaggerate their size. A 10 Gal is as big as i'd go.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
aha! that's even better, that would allow me two tanks in the space I'm wanting to use,
Have plenty of time to figure this all out, not in a hurry for the bigger ones quite yet.
I want to be very sure I'm doing things right first ;)

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
aha! that's even better, that would allow me two tanks in the space I'm wanting to use,
Have plenty of time to figure this all out, not in a hurry for the bigger ones quite yet.
I want to be very sure I'm doing things right first ;)
I've gotten to the point where I need to buy another set of shelves. As far as the Lp, my big girl is about 8 1/2 " and she does fine in a ten gallon. Plenty of room, she isn't very active though, she kind of just sits out in the middle looking pretty;) ignores her hide completely unless I bump her enclosure, then only stays in it for ten minutes or so before coming back out. Skittish, and one hell of a feeding response I have to watch out for. And for a big spider she shows remarkable speed. Im fixing to breed her to a male another forum member loaned me. Tomorrow hopefully.. I have to wait for her to stop accepting dubia roaches first:rolleyes: She shows no signs of being satiated so far..anyways hopefully I'll have some slings in six months or so. If it works out I'll have plenty to sell very cheap. Very cheap.:D

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I've gotten to the point where I need to buy another set of shelves. As far as the Lp, my big girl is about 8 1/2 " and she does fine in a ten gallon. Plenty of room, she isn't very active though, she kind of just sits out in the middle looking pretty;) ignores her hide completely unless I bump her enclosure, then only stays in it for ten minutes or so before coming back out. Skittish, and one hell of a feeding response I have to watch out for. And for a big spider she shows remarkable speed. Im fixing to breed her to a male another forum member loaned me. Tomorrow hopefully.. I have to wait for her to stop accepting dubia roaches first:rolleyes: She shows no signs of being satiated so far..anyways hopefully I'll have some slings in six months or so. If it works out I'll have plenty to sell very cheap. Very cheap.:D
LEt us know!!!! next on my list. :)

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Absolutely keep me in mind as well, by then I should be ready for something a bit more special, and with a bit of luck and timing I can purchase one ^^

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'll tell you guys what. I'm anticipating not being able to unload all of them...it depends on the sac size...anywhere from a couple hundred to two thousand is what I'm reading...god I hope it's just a few hundred...anyway, if she's receptive, and it goes smoothly, I'll give you guys a few each if you want them, just send me the money for shipping. I'm not breeding to make money. I'm breeding to make spiders :) Like I said, a lot of ifs, I've only ever bred my porteri, and it was only a hundred and forty seven slings...and she ate my male on the fourth pairing :( He was cool, I miss him, very docile. Anyway, I'm concentrating on not letting that happen again. I want it to go smoothly, which is somewhat unrealistic from what I've read. I'll be posting in the breeding forum with pics and reports on everything. Just remind me when and if I get the sac. And cross your fingers..and wish HIM luck...I'm nervous as hell about this, does it show?...aaaand I just fed her again, and she took it just as fast as always. Maybe I should feed her a small child.. That's eight full size dubia roaches in 4 days. She looks like she's going to pop. I won't be breeding her until she refuses, I'll try again tomorrow.. here's what she's doing right now...Jesus, the pic doesn't do her justice...that's a six inch diameter 45 degree pvc elbow she's standing next to..and her legs are hunched in lifting her huge fat ass off the ground, I'll post another pic tomorrow when shes in a natural position, my god shes a monster...lol
IMG_20151019_022353.jpg

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Sounds good @MassExodus . :) we will remind u! :) good luck keep us posted.
Thanks Entity. She took the dubia very reluctantly last night, it ran past her 3 times before she decided to snatch it, and she left it half uneaten...it might have been irritation that triggered it...she's really obese now, I've never seen a spider this fat. I'm going to try breeding her tonight. I'm just going to concentrate on saving him if things go bad. I need him to live and do this again if necessary, and I've grown quite fond of him..he's the epitome of the term gentle giant. I've handled him twice and he shows no skittishness or aggression...he just wants in her enclosure..

Latest posts