• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Glass doors or plastic/acrylic.

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
Ok, so I am using my extremely limited handyman skills to make an enclosure from a plant bed box about 40 inches long by 10x10 to house my four tarantulas acrylic enclosures. I put 1/4" track for sliding doors, but I am not sure whether to use glass or acrylic/plastic. Acrylic may be a mute point if it turns out to be too expensive as I suspect.
Glass would be heavier and could break, but wouldn't scratch like acrylic.

I will be going to Lowe's to buy the material and have it cut.
Any thoughts?

Attachments

• 20210703_150022~2.jpg
    20210703_150022~2.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 5

Vermis

Tarantula Club Member
I had something similar when I first kept Ts years ago. I used acrylic. I can't really remember it getting too beat up, not enough annoy that obsessive-compulsive part of me. It was more about practicality than display, though.
IIRC the most damage was where it dragged against the runners, and that was mostly out of sight.

To be honest, I treated it like I treat smartphones these days: if I don't want it to be scratched, I don't scratch it. ;)

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
Thanks to both. Lowe's glass seems too thin so will check a glass company. I may end up with acrylic though. We shall see.

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
Yes, thanks, I think I saw that at Lowe's too. Depending on how things go at the glass place in a few days ( I am tied up for a bit) I was planning on checking out their different products.

Latest posts