• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

GBB enclosure tips?

Ed Zeppelin

3 Year Member
I'm considering a GBB (almost 2") and have an Exo Terra 12x12x12 just sitting around I can use for its crib. The back wall has cork tile replacing the slab of styrofoam it came with. I also have some fake foliage, a half-round hide, coco fiber, water dish, and a fake tree. Any other ideas/suggestions? Thanx.
:T:

Last edited:

Ed Zeppelin

3 Year Member
Doesn’t the top of the exo terra tanks have a mesh top? I would recommend replacing that if yours has that as I’ve heard tarantulas biting through that or getting their legs stuck in it
I have a couple of A. avics in smaller versions of this (8x8x12) and they've never climbed on or chewed thru the mesh.

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
I have a couple of A. avics in smaller versions of this (8x8x12) and they've never climbed on or chewed thru the mesh.
I have personally watched my large G. pulchra and G. pulchripes use their feet to tear apart the metal screen mesh. They were in relatively small enclosures and they could easily reach the top while their other feet were planted on their substrate. These were also both mature males housed next to females and they had an urgent need to get out of their enclosures. I don't think any species can use their mouth to "chew" through the wire, and I'd love to be corrected if I am wrong about this.

I'm currently housing several other species in screen topped enclosures and no problems so far. I think that sometimes screen tops can be a problem, but in most cases, screen tops work fine. My current strategy is to continue using my screened topped enclosures and if I see a problem, I'll make an adjustment. It takes hours or days for them to make a large enough hole to escape from. You will see damage occurring long before an escape is possible.

Last edited:

Ed Zeppelin

3 Year Member
I have personally watched my large G. pulchra and G. pulchripes use their feet to tear apart the metal screen mesh. They were in relatively small enclosures and they could easily reach the top while their feet were planted on their substrate. These were also both mature males housed next to females and they had an urgent need to get out of their enclosures. I don't think any species can use their mouth to "chew" through the wire, and I'd love to be corrected if I am wrong about this.

I'm currently housing several other species in screen topped enclosures and no problems so far. I think that sometimes screen tops can be a problem, but in most cases, screen tops work fine. My current strategy is to continue using my screened topped enclosures and if I see a problem, I'll make an adjustment. It takes hours or days for them to make a large enough hole to escape from. You ail see damaged occurring long before an escape is possible.
I agree with your assessment about the mesh tops. On a side note, my two A. avics (in separate enclosures) do just fine with the mesh tops.

Last edited:

Ed Zeppelin

3 Year Member
I have personally watched my large G. pulchra and G. pulchripes use their feet to tear apart the metal screen mesh. They were in relatively small enclosures and they could easily reach the top while their other feet were planted on their substrate. These were also both mature males housed next to females and they had an urgent need to get out of their enclosures. I don't think any species can use their mouth to "chew" through the wire, and I'd love to be corrected if I am wrong about this.

I'm currently housing several other species in screen topped enclosures and no problems so far. I think that sometimes screen tops can be a problem, but in most cases, screen tops work fine. My current strategy is to continue using my screened topped enclosures and if I see a problem, I'll make an adjustment. It takes hours or days for them to make a large enough hole to escape from. You will see damage occurring long before an escape is possible.
You said that the males housed next to the females had an urgent need to get out of their enclosures. Gee, what urgent need do you think that would be?? lol

D'OH!

Last edited:

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I've seen many of my terrestrial Ts pulling and yanking on the screens without success. However the type of screen that poses the most problems are these...
20180404_101007.jpg
20180325_094045.jpg
I've had pokies and Avics pry these open and escape.
As for Gbbs...they ain't got time for this...too much webbing to do.:D

As for males...all my mature males are in either a shoe box enclosure or a critter keeper no more than 5" tall. These guys are suicidal when they reach maturity and will harm themselves trying to get a mate.

Ed Zeppelin

3 Year Member
I've seen many of my terrestrial Ts pulling and yanking on the screens without success. However the type of screen that poses the most problems are these...View attachment 31403 View attachment 31404I've had pokies and Avics pry these open and escape.

As for males...all my mature males are in either a shoe box enclosure or a critter keeper no more than 5" tall. These guys are suicidal when they reach maturity and will harm themselves trying to get a mate.
Thanx for the 4-1-1. Luckily I don't have this type of screen.

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
I've seen many of my terrestrial Ts pulling and yanking on the screens without success. However the type of screen that poses the most problems are these...View attachment 31403 View attachment 31404I've had pokies and Avics pry these open and escape.

All great info. Thank you.

Have you ever seen a tarantula "chewing" the wire, or did yours use their feet as mine did?

DancingCadaver

I currently house two Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens. One is still a sling while the other is nearing 3''+ in size after a few molts. The larger juvenile is kept in a 5 gallon tank with a wire mesh top. The sling is in a smaller acrylic enclosure with several 2'' wire mesh vents (not unlike those mangled in the pictures above).

The larger juvenile has demonstrated next to no interest in climbing the walls in order to reach the mesh top. He remains out in the open often. Retreating to his hide when startled but is quick to overcome the fear in order to venture back out. Not much of the enclosure is used - by either tarantula. They both seem far more content to lay claim to a comfortable section of turf around a chosen hide, web the hell out of it, then sit tight. So long as the conditions for the species are working I've not witnessed any attempts to get away or make a mad dash to escape when the enclosures are opened.

What I have seen, however, is exploring around the vicinity of that area. This species likes to climb. Those anchor points (fake plants, corkbark, hide, etc.) that are in their areas not only get webbed thickly but also get used as ladders. If you provide access too close to the top I imagine you may discover an upside-down spider at times. They don't seem to be all that interested in digging so I haven't overdone it with substrate. They also tend to stay away from the water dish area as the species is no fan of moisture or humidity.

Latest posts