• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

G. Pulchra Molting or just normal coloration?

Pearl Dusenbery

3 Year Member
IMG_0782.JPG
IMG_0776.JPG
I know that T's can go quite a while without eating but mine usually eats every other day. She is also starting to make a little burrow which she hasn't done before. She also has this kinda gold sparkly spot on her abdomen which used to b black.
She is a G. Pulchra "Brazillian Black" sling and is my first sling. I have the suspicion that she is in premolt but do not know for sure. What do y'all think?

Last edited:

Pearl Dusenbery

3 Year Member
Its just wet in that area. Trying to keep the humidity up a little. According to the T bible even though they r an arid species they should have more humidity and warmer temps until they r over an inch. Please by all means pipe in and let me know if I'm doing something wrong. I definitely don't want to hurt my new baby.

Thanks for confirming my suspicions on the molt.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I think you'd be better off mixing the substrate with water to moisten it instead of misting. Missing dies up quickly and doesn't really serve any purpose for terrestrial Ts.

Mix some water in the substrate so when you squeeze it, it holds shape but doesn't drip. Makes it easy for them to burrow and the drying sub will help with the humidity for the tiny ones.

Pearl Dusenbery

3 Year Member
I don't have a spray bottle I just add some water on 1 side to keep part of it moist. Which keeps the humidity about right. What's funny is she tends to hang out on the wettest part of the sub. She definitely enjoys basking in the light which I have on 12 hours and off 12 hours because we keep the house cool so the temp in her little cup drops below 70 if I don't cycle the light. But she seems real happy and is only a little testy every once in a while. She really is a sweet little spidey. Lol