• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

funny things T's do

Wayne harper

3 Year Member
I thought I would start a thread to see some of the funny things tarantulas do.

I woke up this morning to find my son's b emillia sat on top of the piece of lego we have floating in its water bowl. I thought it must of got on by mistake so I took it off put it back on dry land, the little monkey then walked back over to its water bowl ( which is a bottle lid) climbed on board the lego again and sat there.
It was off and wandering around its cage by the time I got back from walking the dogs.
This is the tarantula that as soon as you put your finger in its enclosure will climb on and is a nightmare to get back in its enclosure.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Lol, a seafaring spider..hmmm. Well some of my Avics like to come out when I open their enclosures, but I have one that will do the same thing every time. I open the lid, she crawls out, does one full circle of the enclosure and goes right back inside, and won't crawl out again..the rest have to be herded back in their enclosures, and are liable to try to come right back out. And then if I move too fast to block them they startle and dart up my arm or onto the back of their enclosure, then it's a comical juggling routine to get it back inside..Avics are funny that way..very unique behavior in the spider world, and underrated in my opinion. A avics, I mean. Most of the other Avics aren't as bold, curious or fearless from what I've seen. My versis are a bit more skittish, but not bad.

Wayne harper

3 Year Member
Lol, a seafaring spider..hmmm. Well some of my Avics like to come out when I open their enclosures, but I have one that will do the same thing every time. I open the lid, she crawls out, does one full circle of the enclosure and goes right back inside, and won't crawl out again..the rest have to be herded back in their enclosures, and are liable to try to come right back out. And then if I move too fast to block them they startle and dart up my arm or onto the back of their enclosure, then it's a comical juggling routine to get it back inside..Avics are funny that way..very unique behavior in the spider world, and underrated in my opinion. A avics, I mean. Most of the other Avics aren't as bold, curious or fearless from what I've seen. My versis are a bit more skittish, but not bad.[/QUOTE
Yep I might make it a little captains hat tonight :)
I fancy one of the a avic just need to do more research I've never had a aboral yet.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
They are a never ending source of pleasure for me. Absolutely adore my A.avic. ('s)he too is out the moment I open her house. Blocked her with a fluffy brush and she got smart, jumped over the fluff onto my hand and sat there smugly.

Payden King

3 Year Member
I'll share one or two of the funny things my T's do..
My Avic avic is a food lover and she almost knows it falls in from the sky because when she gets hungry, she waits with her front legs near the opening of her enclosure.
Also, my E. murinus apparently must not know that she can dig in her enclosure. When I transferred her to the bigger enclosure, I gave her a log to hide out in and put a starter burrow in there.. she hasn't dug in it at all and the only time she comes out is when she eats because she's too tall to dance in her log without hitting the top but hasn't figured out that if she burrows, she won't need to come out lol. But, no complaining from me because I love to see her.. she walks like a dinosaur and is gorgeous.. she's just silly lol.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I know this is an old thread but I thought it deserved resurrecting especially when I realised what one of my Ts has done.

Tinto, one of my B. albos, was rehoused 3 days ago and has spent most of her time exploring but has found time to block the entrance to her cork bark hide (bottom right) but forgot to put herself inside first :D:rolleyes:
DSCF4445.JPG

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I know this is an old thread but I thought it deserved resurrecting especially when I realised what one of my Ts has done.

Tinto, one of my B. albos, was rehoused 3 days ago and has spent most of her time exploring but has found time to block the entrance to her cork bark hide (bottom right) but forgot to put herself inside first :D:rolleyes:
View attachment 28299
My B. albopilosum does that as well, so does my P. cancerides

Dave Jay

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member

View attachment 28299
Well now, Launcelot, Galahad and I wait until nightfall.......

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I tried feeding a meal worm to my P striata by dropping it into her web. It took a while to work up the nerve to try that but I got sick of her only eating crickets and small roaches are hard to come by in brick and mortar stores.

She appeared to eat it but then has webbed up the bolus, abandoned her web in her corner and started an entirely new one on the opposite side of the enclosure. Now she's hiding behind some of the decor, which is at the halfway point between the old one and new one.

It's the weirdest thing I've seen yet.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
20180210_081122.jpg
My Aphonopelma Chalcodes "Arizona blonde" has started removing the water from her water bowl by placing moss in it. One day she was fussing around when I was trying to feed her. Her water dish was low so I dumped it out and tossed the worm in it. After she grabbed the worm I filled the dish with water. Every couple days she started to stuff the dish full of moss and pull the moss out herself. She sits there waiting for worms now. If I open her enclosure and toss a worm in her bowl she runs over to it. I'm going to invest in a time lapse camera up and take a video of the whole ordeal.

Nunua

3 Year Member
I don't know if this can be considered funny, but at least I find it very amusing to observe.
Maisa, just like several other Ts, loves to reconstruct her hide. After digging and carrying huge clumps of substrate away, she keeps tamping and webbing the "floor" making it amazingly smooth and even. Usually the next step is stretching - she just flattens herself, almost like testing if the floor is ok for now. If she decided not to continue the construction work, the last step is long and thorough grooming session. It's absolutely fascinating to see her cleaning the fangs and belly from any excess substrate :D

Latest posts