• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

For those of you with larger collections

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Well, I'm not sure of mine counts as larger.
38 now, many slings or juveniles.

Called an exterminator yesterday about the ants to see if they had tarantula safe options.
The fellow they are sending was excited and wanted to come out to see them, the LPS asked me today (needed pinheads) how many I had now, told them, neither bragging nor defending. The young lady who was about to get their poor T out for some kid to hold (Wtf!) she sort of paused and nodded. I informed the child that he needed to find his mother and told the clerk absolutely not, making sure to explain that it was doubtful their insurance would want to pick up the tab if he was bitten. She assured me the 'rosehair' wouldn't.
I assured her it was a wild animal and unpredictable. Anyway...
Most folks grimace or ask why, offer me Raid and things of that nature.

Will

3 Year Member
I have 10. All my friends are really interested and want to observe them all the time. My wife's friends are not so intrigued. In fact one of her friends refuses to come to our house at all any more claiming arachnophobia.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
i have ummm 27? now i think? i never have guests over to my house so i don't have any reaction. My parents once in a blue moon but they're fine with them, in fact they let my son bring his 2 favorites- Marley the GBB and Missingno the B. albo - to their house while he spent this week helping paint the fence and build their front deck and what not.

I have people here at work that ask all about them, couple of the guys i work with want to squish them dead, couple of the women (fondly referred to as eye candy) come and ask me about them and want to see pictures. Seems men, around here anyway, are more put off by them than women.

I think i put this in another thread but i had one lady here overhear about my T collection and said something about that's why i'm still 40+ and single. I asked her what her excuse was and she hasn't talked to me since :D

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I have 51 and my son has 3. We don't have many visitors but those who do come are mainly scared of Ts. I find they are split between ignoring the Ts completely or at some point begin to get curious and venture closer to see them. On the whole when I've told people outside that I keep Ts most show a genuine interest, some even asking intelligent questions.

timc

3 Year Member
I've only got 12 but I get a lot of "Jesus Christ". Lol I honestly don't even think I have many...if I had my druthers I'd be closer to 50. My girlfriend and I are moving into an apartment together in October and she thinks 12 is too many. I just tell her it's for her since her birthday is December 12 so she can't really say anything.:p

Chingz

3 Year Member
I only have 1 sling right now, but when I asked my friends to suggest me some names, one of my big male friend said to me "if I met your T, I will name it 'SQUISH', flat with the ground"....

While my girl friends were quite curious and peppered me with questions "what does it munch on? Did you have to feed it daily? Why so many legs? Oh, later on can you play with it? How big your T will be? Why colorful spiders as pet?" thats the questions in general..

Me mom still dont know yet. She dislike spiders, but she was still away till mid-september.. Lol.
I hope ahe didnt throw it away.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I've only got 12 but I get a lot of "Jesus Christ". Lol I honestly don't even think I have many...if I had my druthers I'd be closer to 50. My girlfriend and I are moving into an apartment together in October and she thinks 12 is too many. I just tell her it's for her since her birthday is December 12 so she can't really say anything.:p
my day is the 31st. so that means i can get 5 more? ;)

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I have 26 (make that 24 as @LC72uk will get 2 more for his collection tomorrow) All in my bedroom but there are several slings in there. I am about to go all in and purchase an outside office/shed so I have a proper spider room and then........hundreds! Can't wait ☺ Reaction is like others have posted. 2 types, 1st, curious and want to see and talk to you about them or the others who think I am nuts and won't go anywhere near them.

SpiderDad61

3 Year Member
image.jpeg
I have 40. Mostly slings n juvies. Around 10 adult. I have NO idea where they are all gonna go once they get bigger. I have shelves with shelves on those shelves, lol.
image.jpeg

Johnnyp1987

3 Year Member
Im currently at 28, but i have another 9 arriving this saturday. I get mixed reactions. Some think im wierd, some think im obsessed, some think they are amazing, some think they are disgusting. Each to their own i suppose. I dont drink, i dont smoke, i go to work, go to the gym and collect tarantulas lol.