• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Flicked off by a spider...

Taranchaloh

3 Year Member
New to the forum. Hi there.

I adore my rose hair, Sharloh. She is the friendliest spider and extremely easy to handle. But I made the mistake last night of trying to show my close friend how docile she is. I stupidly cupped my hand and put it over her...twice. I saw her flicking hairs a little too late for my liking, but I was able to get her down low enough to miss getting my eyes. I didn't feel anything at first but within the next half hour I started to itch around my neck and hands (I was wearing a shirt when it happened). An hour later my hands hurt (especially the left) and were a little swollen. I keep hearing about people itching the whole time when they get flicked. I only itched for a very short time in the beginning and have been in a lot of pain since. If I wash my hands or move them at all, it feels like little needles are sticking out of my hands and are getting bent. Lots of stinging and the feeling of things being pulled or moved. I know they're barbs so it makes sense but it hurts really bad. My neck just feels like an uncomfortable sunburn. Any idea on what I can do to ease the pain? And how long can I expect this to last?

Many thanks in advance.

Sabeth

3 Year Member
Have you tried any anti-itch creams? You might also try coconut oil, there's very little it's not good for. Hope you feel better soon. :)

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Sorry to hear. Another reason I don't like to hold my T's. Lucky you did not get it in the eyes. Keep us posted if you find anything to relieve some of your pain.

Taranchaloh

3 Year Member
Thanks to both of you. To update, this is day 3 of being flicked. I've come to the conclusion that it is better for me and for Sharloh to not handle her. She got my hands and my neck/chest with her hairs. My chest pain is barely noticeable except for every now and then. My right hand is okay. It's my left that is driving me crazy. The first day it felt like broken needles in my hand, then it went to itching, and now it's itching mixed with having tiny bumps on my hands. It's not colored or even red. Most of the time it looks like there is absolutely nothing wrong with my hand, but I can feel those little bumps and it sure is painful. I've bought everything from aloe vera to hydrocortisone cream. Nothing really works and can even make it feel worse. The only remedy I've found is to wash my hands with hot water, dry them, and let them just be until they drive me nuts again. I'll keep you posted on how long this lasts. I'm really hoping not much longer. I don't know how much more I can take this. Websites don't really say how long it lasts so I'll make sure to post about it to help any others that have been flicked.

MatthewM1

3 Year Member
Try taking a Benadryl, I've seen it recommend by a member of another forum that is a physician for treating bad reactions to urticating bristles

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
If you are not sure you got them all out, give duct tape a shot. Lightly place it over the injury and remove. Should work. If you feeling any kind of other symptoms like nausea, fever, or dizziness I would go get it checked out by a doctor to rule out you are not allergic.

MatthewM1

3 Year Member
I would go packing tape over duct tape. The strong adhesive on duct tape could damage the already sensitive skin. Where as the packing tape should be just enough to snag any remaining hairs without gripping the skin much. OP, you may want to consider picking up a box of disposable gloves for wearing during maintenance if your having this bad of a reaction.

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I would go packing tape over duct tape. The strong adhesive on duct tape could damage the already sensitive skin. Where as the packing tape should be just enough to snag any remaining hairs without gripping the skin much. OP, you may want to consider picking up a box of disposable gloves for wearing during maintenance if your having this bad of a reaction.
I thought duct tape was the solution to all the world's problems? ;). Good points now that the wounds may be sensitized.

Taranchaloh

3 Year Member
This has been fun to read :p I actually did try tape which didn't work but it was packaging tape. I've broken out in little colorless bumps on my hands which itch. Almost seems like the reaction you would have if you ran into a poisonous plant. I feel like it is very slowly getting better day by day. But I'm still itchy and bumpy. I'm really hoping it does continually get better. Nothing seems to help topical wise. Still washing my hands in hot water once in a while helps. I did buy benadryl. It makes you tired which is the downside but I may try it and see what happens. Thanks for the all the suggestions and responses.

Latest posts