• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

First sling (smaller than 1")

Arachtastic

Hey, I just bought my first sling (nhandu coloratovillosus) . 5" Online. I already have a brachypelma Emilia prolly about 2" Rn. So I'm getting the hang of juvenile care and husbandry. Any advice on raising a sling would be helpful, I plan on getting many more over the next year. So I'd like to make sure I have as much knowledge as possible.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Nhandu will burrow as slings if you give them depth of substrate. That being said you could keep a half inch sling in a pill jar with good ventilation and damp substrate until about 1" then move it to something a little larger, reducing the depth of substrate to keep it from becoming a perpetual pet hole

Even if you don't see it for weeks, wet a portion of the substrate at the top of the enclosure and if it opens a tunnel to the top drop in a tiny feeder like a pinhead cricket or Roach

The key to sling keeping is providing moisture at all times without soaking the enclosure or letting it dry out completely, for most terrestrial species other than arid specific

Arachtastic

Nhandu will burrow as slings if you give them depth of substrate. That being said you could keep a half inch sling in a pill jar with good ventilation and damp substrate until about 1" then move it to something a little larger, reducing the depth of substrate to keep it from becoming a perpetual pet hole

Even if you don't see it for weeks, wet a portion of the substrate at the top of the enclosure and if it opens a tunnel to the top drop in a tiny feeder like a pinhead cricket or Roach

The key to sling keeping is providing moisture at all times without soaking the enclosure or letting it dry out completely, for most terrestrial species other than arid specific
Much appreciated, I bought a culture of flightless fruit flies to feed it today. Thats what the main keeper I follow suggests until

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I would say pinhead crickets over fruit flies, them flies not very nutritious

Arachtastic

Yo, so is that talkin about people eating fruit flies? If so that's wild lol also there isn't anywhere in my area that sells "pinhead" Crickets. Only the basic small, med, and large feeder crickets. (I think their the basic acheta domesticus) the only feeders I could find small enough where the flies. I refrigerated them for 8 - 10 minutes then dumped 3 in there (was only gonna do 2 but realized 1 had escaped after I put the lid back on them) I have him in a I think 50 drama filled half or 3/5s of the way up with coconut fiber, and 3 chips of jungle earth to anchor webs to.

Arachtastic

Pinhead crickets could kill a sling in premolt or while molting. I would stick with fruit flies. @octanejunkie . Though we disagree, know that I love you and respect you brother!
I appreciate the information, that's what I was worried about. Is it also true that a Dubai roach won't harm a t if left in the enclosure with it? Also here's a picture of my lil nhandu

Attachments

• IMG_20210429_084220857.jpg
    IMG_20210429_084220857.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 6

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Pinhead crickets could kill a sling in premolt or while molting. I would stick with fruit flies. @octanejunkie . Though we disagree, know that I love you and respect you brother!
We all know that it is recommend to not feed during heavy premolt, so that "should" not be an issue, but it's also one of the reasons I prefer pinhead roaches/roaches in general.

I appreciate the love @WolfSpider

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I appreciate the information, that's what I was worried about. Is it also true that a Dubai roach won't harm a t if left in the enclosure with it? Also here's a picture of my lil nhandu
Crush the head of the dubia to keep it from burrowing

Truthfully, you can feed a small sling pre-killed, frozen/defrosted - they have both hunting and scavenging capabilities.

If necrophilia takes the worry out of being intimate, feeding pre-killed takes the worry out of a feeder injuring your sling. Please don't over-share re the former.

Latest posts