• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

First Old World... Being a Poecilotheria Regalis?

Lyric!

I know this may seem like a joke post, but a guy made an offer to bring me a free Poecilotheria Regalis. I've had a good bit of experience with new worlds, although they've been the easier ones such as Tliltocatl and Brachypelma. While getting a free P. Regalis sounds incredible, I'm worried about the overall speed and severity of the bite. I've kept a series of difficult to maintain marine and reptilian animals so it's not their care, I'm just mostly worried about letting my guard down. I've had to take due caution around keeping venomous animals before, but would you guys recommend me to take this poeci, with it being my first old world? First post btw, still figuring out how to use this forum :)

Blackdog

Northwest Zoological Supply say "INTRO The arboreal ornamental tarantulas or “tiger spiders” of India and Sri Lanka are revered in the tarantula keeping hobby and the classic species is the Indian Ornamental (Poecilotheria regalis). It was the first species in the hobby and is, perhaps, the best species for the first time ornamental tarantula keeper."
I live in Richmond and I would drive to get it to make it my first OW. What a nice friend! Go slow, take no chances and prepare before you act.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I too would say go for it.
I began in the hobby with an OBT followed by a Poecilotheria metallica and have never regretted it.
As long as you are aware of their speed and invest in some long tongs for maintenance you'll be fine.

I know this may seem like a joke post, but a guy made an offer to bring me a free Poecilotheria Regalis. I've had a good bit of experience with new worlds, although they've been the easier ones such as Tliltocatl and Brachypelma. While getting a free P. Regalis sounds incredible, I'm worried about the overall speed and severity of the bite. I've kept a series of difficult to maintain marine and reptilian animals so it's not their care, I'm just mostly worried about letting my guard down. I've had to take due caution around keeping venomous animals before, but would you guys recommend me to take this poeci, with it being my first old world? First post btw, still figuring out how to use this forum :)
Same as the other that you posted in as far as how this forum works.
The regalis,...if you are not jumpy and are calm and have done some research. No reason why not. For that pokie anyway. You may have been informed that there is not a learning curve. I disagree when it comes to ow aborial. My regalis is not skittish at all and that behavior while I do enjoy her being out a lot. Still has cautious to be considered. I jumped into ow spider's of the bat,but that being said I also had a friend with years of experience to guide me.

Go with what works for you and what your comfortable with. Keep us posted

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Dont forget to knock before you enter....
20201215_185555_1_1.gif

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
That enclosure is super nice. I wish I could find something like that and get away from these exos and zoo meds.

Post in thread 'Arachnoclown's tarantula room' https://www.tarantulaforum.com/threads/arachnoclowns-tarantula-room.25383/post-172595

Around $45 total for each tank. The tanks I get at Walmart for $15.

SullivanC

Pokies are very easy to raise as slings so I hope you enjoy it :) just make sure you add good enough ventilation to prevent mold and fungus and if you want you can add moss in the enclosure since these species benefit from humidity and keeping 1 side of enclosure moist but make sure not to keep watering the same area before it dries out because that can great mold quickly :) if you are getting p.regalis thats big enough you can also provide water dish that you can directly glue it to cork bark with glue gun, did you get it yet? :)

Latest posts