• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

First meal with me

beebhabie

3 Year Member
A. chalcodes first meal with me! Didn’t think she would eat as she’s been camping out in her burrow but it was a nice surprise

Also question: Trying to understand portion sizes.. if a feeder is slightly on the smaller side, like this mealworm, would you feed them seconds when they finish the first or just feed again later in the week? There is a lot of contradicting info out there do it’s a bit hard to understand it all.
FBF672B5-EFAB-47B8-A18F-F26CC076593E.jpeg
sorry girl for interrupting your dinner with my flash
D298B9B0-23CA-4981-87CC-6568F9CAEC5C.jpeg

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
My rule of thumb is let her finish this one first then present a second one. If she takes it right away good, if she doesn't remove it (mealworm and superworm have a tendency to dig right away and burry themselves) and try again in a few days.
Cheers.

ArachnoHorn

3 Year Member
Also question: Trying to understand portion sizes.. if a feeder is slightly on the smaller side, like this mealworm, would you feed them seconds when they finish the first or just feed again later in the week? There is a lot of contradicting info out there do it’s a bit hard to understand it all.
Feed them again later

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
If you are feeding mealworms, make sure you crush or remove the head of the mealworm, as they normally quickly burrow into the substrate & the T looses it's food, but worse still, eventually the mealworm turns into a beetle & if the beetle resurfaces when your T is molting, The beetle could easily bite & harm your vulnerable T.

A beheaded mealworm will still be able to move/wriggle 24 hours after being decapitated, so beheading them is not like feeding them dead prey.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
It's fun to watch them double and triple clutch, I'll sometimes throw several feeders in at the same time and watch the T scramble for all of them

Each animal is different, however

Latest posts