• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Feeding pink toed

Genna Bigger

3 Year Member
Hello. I just got a pink toed tarantula. She, i think shes a she, is 1.5 inches long (not counting the legs). I gave her 2 crickets yesterday and one she ate pretty fast. The other was gone this morning. I tossed in another one so she could eat it whenever. I turned my back and she ate it already. Other then that shes moving around well up and down the sides of her tank fairly often. How often should i really be feeding her? Thanks in advance.

Tarantula-Jessica

3 Year Member
The Pink-toed Tarantula or Pink-toed Tree Spider is an aggressive feeder. It will eat a variety of insect prey including adult crickets, grasshoppers, roaches, and especially flying insects such as wax moths. In nature, they will also feed on small lizards such as Anolis species, but they are not typically fed vertebrate prey in captivity.
Source: http://pet-tarantula.com/

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Everyone here tells me you cannot over feed a sling. She simply won't eat if she's not hungry. Just be attentive and remove anything she doesn't eat. Make sure you remove any bolus as well. If she refuses food wait a couple days (I wait 2-3) and offer again.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
As Kymura said, you can't over feed them. Most people will say to feed a sling twice a week, a juvie once a week, an adult every 2 weeks to a month, or some formula similar to that. It just depends on how big the prey is and how big the tarantula's appetite is. Some will keep eating until they're stuffed, and then not eat for a month. I have a few that do that. I also have a few avics that fast, and won't eat for 2-3 weeks at a time. You just have to experiment a bit, see what kind of routine your spider adopts. Hope this helped :)

Genna Bigger

3 Year Member
Honestly all i know is she (thats still up for debate) is a pink toed tarantula. I noticed she has what looks like iridescent legs.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Ok I was just curious, since there's well over a dozen species of pink toe tarantulas. That's not counting the numerous undescribed species. A.avicularia and A.metallica tend to be the two most common.

Genna Bigger

3 Year Member
Oh wow. Hmm I'll have to research. I think metallic. Hers some pics of her.

Attachments

• 1447203732875358149794.jpg
    1447203732875358149794.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 279
  • 1447203786535-549878592.jpg
    1447203786535-549878592.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 283

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
A.avic has reddish hairs on the abdomen while A.metallica does not. A.avic doesn't usually get any bigger than 4-5 inches while metallica can grow to 6 inches or more. Forgive me if I seem to be talking down to you here, but I have no idea how knowledgeable you are of the taxonomic classification system that is used to classify organisms. You'll have a single genus name such as Avicularia AKA the "pink-toed tarantulas" and you'll have several species within each genus. For example Avicularia metallica (metallic pink toe), Avicularia avicularia (common pink toe), Avicularia diversipes (Amazon Sapphire Pink Toe), Avicularia versicolor (Antilles Pink Toe) , and so on. Again I might just be wasting my time here, as for all I know you could already know all of what I'm telling you. Unfortunately, most pet store employees are pretty uneducated and therefore have no idea of what they're really selling.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Looks like an A avic to me... the standard "pinktoe". But the species crossbreeds in the wild, so close counts :) Avicularia is as messed up taxonomically as Pamphobeteus..and Aphonopelma...and many others. But yeah, that's an A avic, or as close as you're going to describe one by looking at coloration and size.

Genna Bigger

3 Year Member
A.avic has reddish hairs on the abdomen while A.metallica does not. A.avic doesn't usually get any bigger than 4-5 inches while metallica can grow to 6 inches or more. Forgive me if I seem to be talking down to you here, but I have no idea how knowledgeable you are of the taxonomic classification system that is used to classify organisms. You'll have a single genus name such as Avicularia AKA the "pink-toed tarantulas" and you'll have several species within each genus. For example Avicularia metallica (metallic pink toe), Avicularia avicularia (common pink toe), Avicularia diversipes (Amazon Sapphire Pink Toe), Avicularia versicolor (Antilles Pink Toe) , and so on. Again I might just be wasting my time here, as for all I know you could already know all of what I'm telling you. Unfortunately, most pet store employees are pretty uneducated and therefore have no idea of what they're really selling.

No waste of time at all. I appreciate any extra knowledge i can get. You cant know enough. I appreciate the knowledge. :)

Genna Bigger

3 Year Member
Looks like an A avic to me... the standard "pinktoe". But the species crossbreeds in the wild, so close counts :) Avicularia is as messed up taxonomically as Pamphobeteus..and Aphonopelma...and many others. But yeah, that's an A avic, or as close as you're going to describe one by looking at coloration and size.

Gotcha. Thanks! Any extra knowledge is good for me.

Latest posts