• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

FedEx is sending my T's back to the supplier

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
No idea what Irelands rules are, but in the UK you can send inverts thru normal post no issue (the lady at the Royal mail counter checked the rules when I posted some roaches out)

The UK Post Office will refuse Tarantulas but allow live insects.
I had an experience when posting out when our local PO, which is in the local Coop, refused to take them after checking on their rules and told me to try the PO in town. I got them posted by saying they were live insects.

x_raphael_xx

I had an experience when posting out when our local PO, which is in the local Coop, refused to take them after checking on their rules and told me to try the PO in town. I got them posted by saying they were live insects.
Weird, Royal Mail website says:

Live creatures, insects and invertebrates
Accepted on Royal Mail services only. Prohibited by Parcelforce
Worldwide.
(including fish fry, coral, bees, spiders and some other insects)
Packaging guidelines: Must be boxed and packaged to protect
the creatures, our staff and our customers from harm. Use 1st
Class as the minimum service. Items must be clearly marked
“URGENT - LIVING CREATURES - HANDLE WITH CARE”."

Maybe they just weren't sure so decided on a no. Tbf I've not tried shipping a spider, just roaches. Mine was in a Coop too.

Ian14

No they don't, or at least shouldnt. They are allowed. Inverts can legally be sent via Royal Mail, unless they are DWAA Schedule 1 species. As no tarantulas are on that, they can all be sent.
I suspect you met an arachnophobic PO worker. Its odd that they suggested you try a different PO, if it wasn't allowed then it wouldn't make any difference as to which PO you used!
All of the UK online dealers ship via Royal Mail and put labels clearly stating Live Invertebrates on the outside of the box.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Weird, Royal Mail website says:

Live creatures, insects and invertebrates
Accepted on Royal Mail services only. Prohibited by Parcelforce
Worldwide.
(including fish fry, coral, bees, spiders and some other insects)
Packaging guidelines: Must be boxed and packaged to protect
the creatures, our staff and our customers from harm. Use 1st
Class as the minimum service. Items must be clearly marked
“URGENT - LIVING CREATURES - HANDLE WITH CARE”."

Maybe they just weren't sure so decided on a no. Tbf I've not tried shipping a spider, just roaches. Mine was in a Coop too.

No they don't, or at least shouldnt. They are allowed. Inverts can legally be sent via Royal Mail, unless they are DWAA Schedule 1 species. As no tarantulas are on that, they can all be sent.
I suspect you met an arachnophobic PO worker. Its odd that they suggested you try a different PO, if it wasn't allowed then it wouldn't make any difference as to which PO you used!
All of the UK online dealers ship via Royal Mail and put labels clearly stating Live Invertebrates on the outside of the box.

To be honest it was a couple of years ago so maybe they've clarified things since. Good to know.

Ian14

Just checked the FedEx site, it clearly states in the list of prohibited items that all livestock INCLUDING INSECTS are prohibited unless agreed with FedEx. I suspect this is because years back they carried live animals for account holders and will have to continue to honour the existing contracts they had.
So the fault is clearly with spidersworld.eu. They clearly know of this as they deliberately falsley declared the package to be plastic tubes.

ILoveMyT

Just checked the FedEx site, it clearly states in the list of prohibited items that all livestock INCLUDING INSECTS are prohibited unless agreed with FedEx. I suspect this is because years back they carried live animals for account holders and will have to continue to honour the existing contracts they had.
So the fault is clearly with spidersworld.eu. They clearly know of this as they deliberately falsley declared the package to be plastic tubes.
This was spidershop.pl I have yet to try spidersworld.eu, he had no agreement with FedEx he is likely freaked out because he flat out has been lying to FedEx. No reason to do this as there are couriers who accept inverts :/

Ian14

This was spidershop.pl I have yet to try spidersworld.eu, he had no agreement with FedEx he is likely freaked out because he flat out has been lying to FedEx. No reason to do this as there are couriers who accept inverts :/
I am so sorry, I got them mixed up.
That said my experience with spidersworld.eu was as I described.
And spidershop.pl have tried to smuggle!
In fairness, spidersworld.eu don't offer FedEx (as far as I remember from my order, they use the Polish equivalent of Royal Mail or their own driver).
So apologies of I have given suggested that spidersworld.eu have acted in an unlawful or dishonest manner.
Spidershop.pl, however.....

Latest posts