• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Experts, please help with these dilemmas i have!!! so many problems!!!

JC1

3 Year Member
T: Curlyhair Size: about an inch and a half or so... Good day Fellow T Enthusiasts!!!!! please help. "they" say that the temperature of the enclosure of the T should be around 70 something... yes, i can keep it there.... but should the soil or the air in the enclosure be that temperature. i've got a glass enclosure with a wooden lid on... i dont get much humidity inside there, and the temperatures dropped last nigh adding to my stress, and the T's. (stupid weather)

so i placed a warm water bottle next to the cage, and all of a sudden the Humidity started to appear. thank goodness. some say i should be using a heat pad, and some say not..... if not using some sort of heat, the humidity is extremely low..... very dry actually.... i use coco peat bedding, with a bottle cap for water (sideways).

should i forget about the humidity? should i get a temp cage? should i get a heating pad? should i rather get a plastic lid for the humidity's sake? the air or the soil?

im just so confused at the moment...... :mad:o_O:eek::confused:

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Don't worry about humidity for the curly, just provide fresh water in a small dish. The best heating you can use is a small space heater, and adjust the room temp to 75. Any Tarantula is ok at 75, and you can drop it down to 70 at night. Hope this helps

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I agree with mass on this one. I use a small oil filled electric space heater for heat it does not run much after the room gets to temp. and it is nice radiant heat no blower to worry about. just as long as he has water and the temp is 70 or higher ur good. ur gonna give urself an ulcer.lol

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I do not like heat mats. i feel they r more dangerous and more chance of hurting ur spiders. IMO
I've always heard there's a danger of the the spider getting burned..can't confirm it because I've never used one. I've also heard many people say it's bull...but if someone was going that route, I think the use of a heat mat in the bottom shelf of a small, enclosed cabinet, with slings or adults on higher shelves, would be ok. I've heard of a few people doing this in cold climates with drafty houses. It seems like it would be safe. I would be leery of putting a mat directly on a spiders enclosure though, for sure.

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I've always heard there's a danger of the the spider getting burned..can't confirm it because I've never used one. I've also heard many people say it's bull...but if someone was going that route, I think the use of a heat mat in the bottom shelf of a small, enclosed cabinet, with slings or adults on higher shelves, would be ok. I've heard of a few people doing this in cold climates with drafty houses. It seems like it would be safe. I would be leery of putting a mat directly on a spiders enclosure though, for sure.
Yeah that probably wouldnt be too bad if u just put the mat in with the spiders and not directly on their enclosures. Didnt really think of it like that. But i think a space heater is still an easier and less stressful way to go. :)

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Yeah that probably wouldnt be too bad if u just put the mat in with the spiders and not directly on their enclosures. Didnt really think of it like that. But i think a space heater is still an easier and less stressful way to go. :)
I do as well. Enn49 has been educating me on heat mats though..apparently she's had no trouble using them, she says just make sure you have a thermostat with the probe taped to the mat, and you're golden. I'll take her word on that one, it sounds sensible to me, and she's got plenty of experience.

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I do as well. Enn49 has been educating me on heat mats though..apparently she's had no trouble using them, she says just make sure you have a thermostat with the probe taped to the mat, and you're golden. I'll take her word on that one, it sounds sensible to me, and she's got plenty of experience.
I pretty sure u can trust Enn