• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Escape artist !!

rach3

Hi, wonder if anyone else has experience of lasa Dora escaping? Mine is around 2 years old and a pretty substantial Size now, for a while she has kept biting at the wire mesh lid on the enclosure making the fine mesh holes bigger, she now has managed to bite away continuously at one corner and squeezed through it and escaped ! She was Luckily spotted by my young son on the floor in the dinning room ! Any advice on this please, I am looking at upgrading to larger enclosure now as she's almost full size now and yes contradictory to all information she both climbs and burrows !!!!

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
We have several LP's, one is around the same size as yours & none of ours have ever tried to escape.

I keep my largest LP in a clear plastic storage box & although she is normally happy to have the lid off & go for a wander, she has never shown any inclination to chew on her enclosure or escape.

If you do decide to use drilled acrylic/perspex, then take care, as there are a few rules to follow, as it can crack very easily when being drilled. A friend who occasionally drills acrylic for his work, tells me. Never drill too close to the edge, keep holes 20 - 30 mm from the edge & never use an old or a new drill. Use a drill that has a little work. He tells me he simply drills a couple of holes in wood first on a new drill, as a new drill will grab at & tear, thus cracking it.

Also use masking tape, as that brings the drill into contact with the acrylic slightly more gently than simply putting the drill onto the surface & hitting the power button.

rach3

Thankyou, I've kept several different breeds over the years she I'd my first LP though and none of my others ever attempted an escape and have All been kept in exo terra vivs with the same mesh lid, I'm no wondering if she's not happy that she needs more space possibly, so I've now ordered a larger fully glassed tank with glass sliding roof doors ? I'm hoping that having more room this will be suitable and non escapable!

Heretic

You are sure its not a male in search of a female? Also make sure whats on the inside of the enclosure is enough to keep her settled down. If she doesnt feel secure, she will seek out a place that is. Some spiders don't like to be looked at.

rach3

You are sure its not a male in search of a female? Also make sure whats on the inside of the enclosure is enough to keep her settled down. If she doesnt feel secure, she will seek out a place that is. Some spiders don't like to be looked at.
Definatly a female ! She has a large burrow that she made herself and logs to hide in, she actually likes to be out almost all of the time on display but thankyou for your reply