• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Enclosure for new T stirmi

Will

3 Year Member
New T stirmi coming soon. I took some photos whilst putting the enclosure together and thought I'd share them. Please let me know your thoughts.

20160216_174617.jpg

9" × 6" × 6" plastic tub with plenty of ventilation on the sides.

20160216_180617.jpg

Layer of stone and then some wire mesh.

20160216_184003.jpg

3" of substrate. Peat, coco fibre and a couple of handfuls of vermiculite.

20160216_185756.jpg

Coconut shell half, bottlecap water dish, and some plastic leaves.

20160216_185923.jpg

I cut the back of the shell off and put it against the tub so I can sneak a peak (if it even uses it).

Last edited:

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I was just going to ask that;
So, Alright tell me about the mesh and stones please?

Will

3 Year Member
Yes it's to help with drainage, humidity and mould. Prevents over saturating the substrate. When water starts on collect on the bottom I can stop the misting for a bit and let the substrate dry.

So my new little guy is in its new home. It has taken to the coconut hide. I will try and get a pic tomorrow.

Also my new beautiful juvenile Nhandu chromatus is settling into its new home too, as are my G pulchra and B annitha slings.

No more spiders for a while!

Ghost

3 Year Member
Congrats on the new sling,nice looking enclosure I'm sure he will be very happy in there.
Is that the T.stirmi slings that TSS have in stock just now? I was thinking of ordering one along with a P.vorax, as it's been a few years since I've had a stirmi sling and would be fun to raise one again......

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Yes it's to help with drainage, humidity and mould. Prevents over saturating the substrate. When water starts on collect on the bottom I can stop the misting for a bit and let the substrate dry.

So my new little guy is in its new home. It has taken to the coconut hide. I will try and get a pic tomorrow.

Also my new beautiful juvenile Nhandu chromatus is settling into its new home too, as are my G pulchra and B annitha slings.

I was wondering the same thing, and hoping you weren't going to put sea salt solution in there or other spider poisons :p I like the setup. congrats on the new family ;)

Will

3 Year Member
Congrats on the new sling,nice looking enclosure I'm sure he will be very happy in there.
Is that the T.stirmi slings that TSS have in stock just now? I was thinking of ordering one along with a P.vorax, as it's been a few years since I've had a stirmi sling and would be fun to raise one again......

Sorry for the delay in replying. Yes it's from TSS.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Sorry for the delay in replying. Yes it's from TSS.
What else you got pal? I am not far from you so always want to keep in touch with other "local" hobbyists so we can keep each other updated with collection, interesting Ts and potential breeding opportunities....the spiders not the humans. ...lol

I currently have
Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens - Green Bottle Blue - Sully 2.0 - molted today but looks like had a bit of a struggle
Avicularia versicolor - Antilles Pink Toe/ Martinique pinktoe - Tink - Molted 23.10.15, 25.12.15
Brachypelma smithi - Mexican Red Knee - Tiga
Brachypelma boehmei - Mexican Fire leg - Bo 2.0 - molted 04.01.16
Monocentropus balfouri - Socotra Island Blue Baboon - Skai - Molted 12.11.15
Acanthoscurria geniculata - Giant white knee tarantula - Genie - Molted 05.02.16
Pterinopelma sazimai - Brazilian Blue Tarantula - Fluff - Molted 23.12.15, 06.02.16
Poecilotheria. subfusca - Ivory Ornamental lowland/highland - Aroura - Molted 16.01.16
Harpactira. pulchripes - Golden Blue leg baboon - Apollo - Molted 03.02.16
Avicularia. Purpurea - Purple Pink toe - Violet
Ephebopus cyanognathus - Blue Fang tarantula - no name yet
Poecilotheria metallica - Gooty Sapphire Ornamental Tree Spider X 3 - no names yet
Avicularia diversipes - Amazon Sapphire pink toe -Topaz

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member

Shame no more spiders.....I have a nice 3" ish a. Geniculata (F) that needs a new home......I call her "tiny Genie" as my other Geniculata (Genie) is knocking on the door of about 7.5/8" following last molt.....lol

Will

3 Year Member
I've got
C cyaneopubescens
N chromatus
G pulchra
G rosea
P metallica
P murinus x2
T stirmi
B annitha
All sling to juvenile ages as I'm new to the hobby.

Are you a northern lad Phil?

Lol don't temp me with more T's. I need to rein it in. Such an addictive hobby, you very quickly change from a hobbyest to a collector

Latest posts