• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Enclosure advice needed

Ed Zeppelin

3 Year Member
My avic. avic. needed a new crib so I was recently given a brand-new-in-the-box Exo-Terra 12x12x12 glass enclosure. It has a back wall for climbing. I have all the fake foliage I need and realize that she will climb around on glass panels. I guess my question is should I get or do I need some cork bark to go in there? Any ideas about that? Thanx.
:T:
Sent from my Commodore 64 running Windoze 95

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I'm always wary of those ExoTerra backgrounds as crickets can get down the back of them, I've known them chew a way through/ Where a cricket goes a T will follow. My son lost his Pokie as she got down the back of hers and decided it would be a good place to moult, unfortunately she got stuck and died. I would advise taking it out and using a piece of cork bark (not a tube) or a branch, that way if it hides behind it you can turn the enclosure round and see where the T is.

Ed Zeppelin

3 Year Member
I'm always wary of those ExoTerra backgrounds as crickets can get down the back of them, I've known them chew a way through/ Where a cricket goes a T will follow. My son lost his Pokie as she got down the back of hers and decided it would be a good place to molt, unfortunately she got stuck and died. I would advise taking it out and using a piece of cork bark (not a tube) or a branch, that way if it hides behind it you can turn the enclosure around and see where the T is.

Good idea. Sounds like a plan. I have seen where the cork bark can be trimmed/cut to size.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Take a knife and trim the 1/2 of Styrofoam off the back in the 3 raised areas so it fits flush to the glass. Now the critters and spiders can't get back there. That's the first thing I do with all exoterras. You will still want a piece of corkbark or a cork tube for your Avic to climb on.
20180512_094304.jpg
20180307_131937.jpg

Ed Zeppelin

3 Year Member
Take a knife and trim the 1/2 of Styrofoam off the back in the 3 raised areas so it fits flush to the glass. Now the critters and spiders can't get back there. That's the first thing I do with all exoterras. You will still want a piece of corkbark or a cork tube for your Avic to climb on.View attachment 30271View attachment 30272

Thanx for the tip. Is that foliage in the pic good for web spinning? If so, what's it called and where did you get it? I'm always looking for ways to improve my setup.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Thanx for the tip. Is that foliage in the pic good for web spinning? If so, what's it called and where did you get it? I'm always looking for ways to improve my setup.
That's just a sucion cup fake plant from a reptile shop...it might be exoterra brand. I like to use them because I can wash them and put them back in. They will web them up.
15279063751001066832402.jpg

Ed Zeppelin

3 Year Member
Take a knife and trim the 1/2 of Styrofoam off the back in the 3 raised areas so it fits flush to the glass. Now the critters and spiders can't get back there. That's the first thing I do with all exoterras. You will still want a piece of corkbark or a cork tube for your Avic to climb on.View attachment 30271View attachment 30272

Thanx for the 4-1-1 on the styrofoam. Did you need adhesive to hold it to the glass or does the substrate alone do the job? Also, does your T climb the styrofoam or just the cork bark, or both? If I get some flat cork bark, should I apply it to a glass panel or would another style of bark be preferred? Any chance she may climb down inside the tube? I hope I'm not blowing up your puter with all these questions, I'm just trying to get it right the first time w/o having to rework it all later. Any other tips would be greatly appreciated!

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I would never use a tube for a T as the odds are it will make its home inside and you'll never see it. I'd prop a piece of bark against the glass so you can at least check on it when it hides behind it.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
They walk on the Styrofoam but I think they like the cork better. You can use a slab or tube. Either or will be fine. My Avics like the tubes and even molt inside them. They aren't as bad as my pokies...they wont come out of their tubes. Slabs work well too, my juveniles all have slabs.

Ed Zeppelin

3 Year Member
They walk on the Styrofoam but I think they like the cork better. You can use a slab or tube. Either or will be fine. My Avics like the tubes and even molt inside them. They aren't as bad as my pokies...they wont come out of their tubes. Slabs work well too, my juveniles all have slabs.

I guess everyone has an opinion on cork tubes. Some say they would never use one for a T, while others say they're fine.

Ed Zeppelin

3 Year Member
One good thing with tubes is if you have a aggresive or fast old world T, you can plug the top of the tube and do your maintenance and not worry about the freak inside. Can't do that with a slab leaned up in the tank. ;)

"Freak inside." Phunny. Maybe I can find a big-ass wine bottle cork to plug it up with. lol

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
A strip of electric tape placed right can cover up those gaps where a cricket might get behind there.

A bit of aquarium silicone might also work.

Both require less effort then cutting and refitting the styrofoam does. Having said that, I've had no problems with my versicolor doing stupid things back there.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
One good thing with tubes is if you have a aggresive or fast old world T, you can plug the top of the tube and do your maintenance and not worry about the freak inside. Can't do that with a slab leaned up in the tank. ;)

If you forget about the small side entrance facing the back on the other hand....

That's exactly the type of thing I'd end up doing.

sschind

3 Year Member
I use 12 x 12 cork tiles for a lot of my needs. I haven't used any for walls yet but I use a lot of them for leaning type stuff (I don't know how else to explain it) Its not as nice looking as cork bark but the one nice ting is crickets don't have a place to hide either. If I were doing a display I'd probably go with the bark but for my off display containers its all I use. I get 1/8 inch ones at wal mart https://i5.walmartimages.com/asr/08....jpeg?odnHeight=450&odnWidth=450&odnBg=FFFFFF
and `1/4 inch ones at menards https://www.menards.com/main/home-d...169-c-7158.htm?tid=7999953833949028806&ipos=2

Just another option.

Latest posts