• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Dying or molting?

JC1

3 Year Member
I discovered that my Curlyhair was in a curled up position in his burrow.. Its slightly moving its legs, but in that position it looks like a death curl. Its on its back now... Didn't eat for a while. Could it be dying or molting? Its been now several hours. How long should I wait to declare it dead....? Stressed.

tarantulaguy1994

3 Year Member
I can not say for sure with out a photo, but tarantula hardly ever turn to there backs to die. With that I would say it is probably a molt. Not for sure though if it seemed to be in death curl before turning over.

tarantulaguy1994

3 Year Member
I would also suggest leaveing her alone deepening on the size and age up tarantula they can take up to a day to molt in some cases even longer.

JC1

3 Year Member
Yeah, it was actually looking up inside the burrow. So it was on the burrow wall.. It fell down eventually. So I don't understand. Its a 2cm brachy sling. It is moving its legs every 30 min. I'll have an update tomorrow. Wish me luck.. And it.. Its my first.

tarantulaguy1994

3 Year Member
AS a sling it should not take long to molt, but then again every one is a bit different with that, I will be waiting to hear your update.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
We can't really be of much help to you without a picture. It sounds like it's molting.

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Like the others said, if it's on it's back it's likely molting. If you could get a pic, that would be fantastic. Just observe it and avoid the urge to dig it up or move it.

JC1

3 Year Member
sorry guys, my phone didnt allow me to upload pics. but i have done so now. its still on its back... i placed a warm water bottle under the cage, with a towl over it to get the humidity going. a work friend of mine suggested to mist the spider to help it molt. im not sure about that.... she says that it needs to be wet to come out of the old skin.... should i gently mist it? i dont know if its dehydrated, or entering a molt stage. its been 16 hours now... its still moving its legs..... but the friend said its like being sun burnt for them.... they need to be misted on, so they can get out of the old skin. what the heck.... i dont know.... dont want to drown it, by misting it.... pictures below!

Attachments

• DSC_0650.JPG
    DSC_0650.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 16
  • DSC_0645.JPG
    DSC_0645.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 19
  • DSC_0653.JPG
    DSC_0653.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 18
  • DSC_0648.JPG
    DSC_0648.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 18

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
The substrate it's lying on looks soaking wet...I don't think it needs more moisture..is it just the picture fooling me or is it wet in there? How long has she been on her back?

JC1

3 Year Member
the substrate is damp... ish.. so not too wet.... its on its back now for 16 hours +. below is as it stands currently. its slightly moving its legs still... is this molt going smoothly or what? this is like a pregnant woman going into a 20 hour labor....

Attachments

• DSC_0654.JPG
    DSC_0654.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 9

Latest posts