• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Dwarf Ts - any suggestions?

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I'm thinking of buying a few more Ts and quite like the idea of the dwarves. I tend to prefer Ts with interesting patterns or colourful ones and am thinking more of ones that grow to around the 2'' mark.

Pictures would be good but any suggestions welcome.

I already have:-
Holothele incei
Kochiana brunnipes
Cyriocosmus perezmilesi

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hapolopus sp. small or large.

That was one that I've been looking at and would go for the small.

Hapalopus Colombia Large gets around 4", a bit larger than the OP wants.

I'd highly recommend Cyriocosmus, especially ritae.

I've just found and fallen for a Plesiopelma longisternale on one UK site but sadly he has no Cyriocosmus but I definitely like the look of the ritae. I might have to split my order between shops.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I have finally decided on a few new ones, sadly they are from 3 separate shops. The process of selection has driven me mad over the last 2 days, so many lovely species of dwarf Ts just not available in the UK.

These are the ones I have picked:-
Plesiopelma longisternale (Argentine Pygmy)
Cyriocosmus elegans
Yamia sp. Vietnam
Iridopelma Hirsutum (Furry Beauty Tarantula) - not a dwarf I know but I couldn't resist.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Harpactira are still scare, and Harpactirella even moreso.

OP: Yamia is now Phlogiellus.

Thanks, I wasn't sure which way round it was but some sites listed them as Yamia and some as Phlogiellus.

Ghost

3 Year Member
I have finally decided on a few new ones, sadly they are from 3 separate shops. The process of selection has driven me mad over the last 2 days, so many lovely species of dwarf Ts just not available in the UK.

These are the ones I have picked:-
Plesiopelma longisternale (Argentine Pygmy)
Cyriocosmus elegans
Yamia sp. Vietnam
Iridopelma Hirsutum (Furry Beauty Tarantula) - not a dwarf I know but I couldn't resist.

Wow you had to get them from 3 separate shops that's quite a hit on postage! I noticed you beat me to getting the I.hirsutum hope you left some at TSS for me lol,nice choice on the dwarves as well.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Wow you had to get them from 3 separate shops that's quite a hit on postage! I noticed you beat me to getting the I.hirsutum hope you left some at TSS for me lol,nice choice on the dwarves as well.

Yes, it's annoying but no-one had more than a couple of what I wanted. I've not ordered them all yet, just the I.hirsutum as Paypal have some of my money on hold and I'm waiting for it to clear. Hope I've left you one

privatetillery

3 Year Member
I got a C.perezmilesi couple weeks ago along with a pumpkin patch. Both really cool T's. one likes to web while the other likes to build with sand.

Heterothele villosella is a good one too but its OW.
Oligoxystre Diamantinensis
and anything cyriocosmus :)

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
A while ago there was a spider advertised on The Spider Shop's website which caught my eye:
Sahydroaraneus Raja
Apparently that's a dwarf species from India, but it's near impossible to find any information about it online for some reason. I think they're really gorgeous spiders with their metallic blue sheen.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I got a C.perezmilesi couple weeks ago along with a pumpkin patch. Both really cool T's. one likes to web while the other likes to build with sand.

Heterothele villosella is a good one too but its OW.
Oligoxystre Diamantinensis
and anything cyriocosmus :)

I have an O. diamantinensis, a great little character and apart from elegans there don't seem to be many Cyriocosmus around at the moment.

A while ago there was a spider advertised on The Spider Shop's website which caught my eye:
Sahydroaraneus Raja
Apparently that's a dwarf species from India, but it's near impossible to find any information about it online for some reason. I think they're really gorgeous spiders with their metallic blue sheen.

I see what you mean but sadly they're sold out. Used to be known as Plesiophrictus raja apparently.

Poec54

3 Year Member
Sahydroaraneus Raja

Are they even in the hobby? That's going to make a difference whether or not you can get them, and new introductions are often several hundred dollars, which may be a little more than the OP's budget. Does anyone know how to care for them? I think he's probably looking for more practical suggestions.

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
IIRC, the OP is in the UK and one of the online shops here (The Spider Shop) had them for sale for a while, but you are right about the general availability and pricing (I think they asked for about for over £50 for a sling).

Latest posts