• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Double molt? Or just fasting?

Talmon Glidden

3 Year Member
So my G. pulchripes sling just molted for the first time in my possession (Also my first tarantula, so it is the first molt I've experienced, pretty exciting.) and it has been a little over 2 weeks since the molt and he (was able to sex him with a microscope) is still not eating! I would say he is just fasting, because his species does that, but he is even skinnier than before the molt and I'm worried. Aside from not eating, he is showing many other signs of pre-molt (sluggish, VERY dark abdomen, etc.) as if he is about to double molt. Two molts in a period of 2 weeks? is that even possible? Anyway, I was hoping somebody could tell me what is going on because I'm worried. Thank you!

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
It's not double molting. How large is your sling? It's quite possible that it either isn't ready to eat yet after the molt or it is fasting. I had two 1/2" slings that fasted from about November of last year until April/May of this year. Like yours, they had molted recently and were on the thinner side when they stopped eating. Although the temperatures are controlled in my tarantula room, they seemed to detect that it was winter outside. Also, as slings these guys would take more than a few days after a molt to accept prey again (most of my Ts that size will accept food after only three days).

I'm assuming the molt went okay?

FaaFaa

3 Year Member
With each molt your T is growing. A larger T takes a little longer to recover from a molt. I have had slings go 3 weeks after a molt before taking food. The other thing to remember is that, depending on the size of your sling, the colors you may be seeing aren't dark pre-molt colors. With each molt a sling will get closer to it's adult colors. If your home is cooler this will also slow your sling down. I keep all my slings under the 2ish inch mark in a "Nursery" with a warmer ambient temp. Lastly, I just want to remind you not to bother your sling too much. A stressed T won't eat either. Offer food once a week. Your baby will eat when it's ready. :)

Talmon Glidden

3 Year Member
Okay, thank you! I've been offering food almost daily, so I guess that is not good. I'll give him a break. and yes, the molt went great! I was a little worried at first that he wouldn't have enough room molting in his hide, but it turned out great. He was about 3/4 inches from fang to anus and about 1 1/4 inch leg span, but I haven't been able to measure him since the molt. Also, does anybody think this has anything to do with water/moisture? I spray his enclosure every once and a while as his only source of water.

FaaFaa

3 Year Member
The frequency that you spray your enclosures is going to depend on your environment. I spray down a small section of my sling enclosures once every 4 to 5 days.

Talmon Glidden

3 Year Member
I understand the chaco golden knee is a desert species though so maybe I should spray less frequently? Also, at this age can I put in some kind of water bowl? Like a bottle cap with water and gravel in it to prevent drowning?

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I understand the chaco golden knee is a desert species though so maybe I should spray less frequently? Also, at this age can I put in some kind of water bowl? Like a bottle cap with water and gravel in it to prevent drowning?

Like FaaFaa, I usually sprinkle some water for my smaller G. pulchripes every 5 days or so. And, many times, I actually catch them drinking.

At that size, you can definitely put in a small water dish. Although in the past, keepers wouldn't keep dishes with their smaller slings due to fear of drowning, more and more are now providing dishes to slings as small as .5"-.75". At 1.25", a small bottle cap of water would be fine and would eliminate the need to spray as often (or at all). They are a desert species, but they will appreciate a drink and slings are more prone to dehydration than their juvenile or adult counterparts. :)