• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Does a sperm web mean it's close to the end?

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
A video of a male charging his pedipalps. This is a video that I made a few years ago to make people mad in another forum. It worked:D:D:D Turn the volume down for young ones. If you like Southpark turn it up.

Thank you my friend, I feel better now about my Fist-f@#$ reference ;)

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Not sure I would be the right person to answer this question but my personal preference is to try when possible to sex my Ts at an earlier age (before maturity) and to either sell or trade the premature males. I sometimes end up with mature males, I will try first to sell or trade them but will happily hand them out if nobody has a trade or can spare the $. I believe they'd be happy to die trying to mate with a female than just dying of old age wondering around their enclosure constantly. My two cents.
I also forgot to mention that you can find many breeders that will pay shipping to get your male and although they might not want to buy it, you usually can get a few slings if the pairing is successful and produces. It can go from a few slings for less expensive and widely available species to a 50/50 on more desirable ones.

goldenpumpkin

Not sure I would be the right person to answer this question but my personal preference is to try when possible to sex my Ts at an earlier age (before maturity) and to either sell or trade the premature males. I sometimes end up with mature males, I will try first to sell or trade them but will happily hand them out if nobody has a trade or can spare the $. I believe they'd be happy to die trying to mate with a female than just dying of old age wondering around their enclosure constantly. My two cents.
Okay. Thanks for the input. I just want to make sure his last chapter of his life is ideal for him

goldenpumpkin

I also forgot to mention that you can find many breeders that will pay shipping to get your male and although they might not want to buy it, you usually can get a few slings if the pairing is successful and produces. It can go from a few slings for less expensive and widely available species to a 50/50 on more desirable ones.
Cool, good to know!

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I won't waste your time reading another gratuitous response to the question that's already been answered by better members than i, so I'll just say hello and welcome and my gbb mail that just recently passed lived almost two and a half years after maturing and was never bred.

The converse of that, I have mature males that have been eaten by females on their first pairing, so there is no guarantee of anything in life, not even death and taxes for a male tarantula. Just death, eventually.

Welcome to the funnest fang forum on the internet.

goldenpumpkin

I won't waste your time reading another gratuitous response to the question that's already been answered by better members than i, so I'll just say hello and welcome and my gbb mail that just recently passed lived almost two and a half years after maturing and was never bred.

The converse of that, I have mature males that have been eaten by females on their first pairing, so there is no guarantee of anything in life, not even death and taxes for a male tarantula. Just death, eventually.

Welcome to the funnest fang forum on the internet.
Thanks for welcoming me! Yeah I am just going to cherish everyday I have with him. I think I am actually worrying too much about him and checking on him too much to the point where its causing him stress. I really need to stop worrying and just let him be, but it's so hard to resist the urge to keep on making sure every little thing is okay... Do you happen to have any tips on how to stop worrying and leave the tarantula alone?? Lol

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
"Do you happen to have any tips on how to stop worrying and leave the tarantula alone??"
My best advice is to get a lot more Ts!!!! This way instead of obsessing and disturbing this gentleman as he is "taking care of business" you'll have many more to obsess over. With the right number of Ts (a high one) you'll have to divide your time between each and will have so much to do that you won't have time to worry anymore ;)
Of course this sounds like a "more guns" solution to a gun issue but aren't we addict after all?

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Thanks for welcoming me! Yeah I am just going to cherish everyday I have with him. I think I am actually worrying too much about him and checking on him too much to the point where its causing him stress. I really need to stop worrying and just let him be, but it's so hard to resist the urge to keep on making sure every little thing is okay... Do you happen to have any tips on how to stop worrying and leave the tarantula alone?? Lol
Buy more tarantulas, duh :rolleyes: ;) :p

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Each male is his own individual, when his number is up it doesn't matter if he's mated or not. Ive personally had old males that have and haven't bred. My current old boy is nearly four years mature and has never been bred. Hes Still making sperm webs even though they are probably sterile. He is a Poecilotheria regalis.
Interesting, I have a MM P. Metallica that is nearing 2 years. Do the Poecilotheria tend to be long lived after their last molt?

Gizalba

3 Year Member
To answer Gizalba, without using obscure and difficult scientific terms I can't spell, here is a simplified explanation of how it works.
If I am correct the male produces sperms from his upper abdomen (the place everyone look at to try to find the sex of their Ts). The boxing gloves can be compared to syringes (yes, the male will try to fist-f@#$ the female). The sperm web is for the male to be able to get the sperms from their location and to load up the end of his pedipalps (the syringes).
Hoping this helps :p

Thanks! That's really interesting and makes me less confused :p

goldenpumpkin

"Do you happen to have any tips on how to stop worrying and leave the tarantula alone??"
My best advice is to get a lot more Ts!!!! This way instead of obsessing and disturbing this gentleman as he is "taking care of business" you'll have many more to obsess over. With the right number of Ts (a high one) you'll have to divide your time between each and will have so much to do that you won't have time to worry anymore ;)
Of course this sounds like a "more guns" solution to a gun issue but aren't we addict after all?
Lol I will take that into consideration; thanks for the advice!

zatalo

Tarantula Club Member
A video of a male charging his pedipalps. This is a video that I made a few years ago to make people mad in another forum. It worked:D:D:D Turn the volume down for young ones. If you like Southpark turn it up.

That is awesome!!! Thank you for the science lesson.

Latest posts