• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Do you take your Ts with you on vacations?!

Agno

3 Year Member
Was just wondering....if anyone else takes his/her Ts with them on vacations. A couple of days ago my bf and I went for a week at the beach and we took our Ts and some of our stick insects with us. We took our Avicularia cos she was going to molt and we didn't want to leave her unattended. We also took Tiny, my recently purchased Boehmei. This has been our Avic's second summer at the beach and our Heteropteryx Dilatata third summer vacation :p Of course we don't take them out to the beach, they stay in the room!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Nicolas C

3 Year Member
Well, no I don't. It would mean too much stress for them to be moved, taken out of the enclosures, changing climates, etc. And I'm sure they enjoy some holidays too: in my case, not having children in the house doing noise on noise!

That being said, if you can do it in a way which doesn't disturb too much your little Ts, why not?

timc

3 Year Member
I do not...I think my Ts like it when I'm away. No one to disturb them. I've gone away for a week and noticed the first time I open my bedroom door the all seem to jump like they weren't expecting anyone. "Dammit guys, he's back"

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I do not take mine. Too much hassle, does them no good, not enugh room and you go on vacation to get away from it all and not have the routines of life.....lol. I always makes sure water is filled to the top and fed before I pack though. Have yet to pursuade the neighbours that feeding the spiders is just like feeding my fish......ha ha.
I do however think I have found a niche market for selling those "thank you for looking after" boxes of fudge. I think I could be on to something here. I am prepared to offer 20% of the company for £250,000. Any takers LMAO :D
Hope the moult went OK after all that trouble btw.

Agno

3 Year Member
Yep, the molt was successful! I don't remove them from their enclosures tho, I take them with their homes. My Versi is not very big so for the moment she's in I'd say a 9x9x10 inches container. And my Boehmei was a second instar so I kept the container she's in in my hand all the journey to avoid vibrations and shakings. It was a total of 10 hours journey by car.

Thistles

3 Year Member
I'd need to rent a trailer to tow them all behind my car...

The only time I took a tarantula away for a short term thing was when I had a very sick one and I was recovering from surgery. I left the rest at home.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
LMAO! same reaction i had when i saw this post :) I do the same as @Scoolman said, make sure they all are fed and watered the day before or the day i leave. Like others have said i think it's too much stress on them. I don't really like when my son takes them to school for his project but that has to be done, so we make it as less stressful as possible.

syzygy

3 Year Member
Funny thought. A couple weeks ago one of my B.klassi slings molted the day before we were going to fly out of town for a week. The next morning as we were leaving I noticed that it was still struggling to separate from the molt. I knew I couldn't take it and that even if I could there was likely little I could do to help, but I have to admit that for 30 seconds I considered options for getting it past airport security. In the end I added more humidity to the container and did the same for its 2 siblings who I assumed would also be molting shortly and fortunately I came back to three healthy molted T's.

Agno

3 Year Member
Hmm I've only taken them when I've been traveling by car. If I was to travel by bus for example, I'd never take them or even by plane. My friends were making fun tho, saying next year I'll bring them with me in a harness since they will grow bigger!

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hmm I've only taken them when I've been traveling by car. If I was to travel by bus for example, I'd never take them or even by plane. My friends were making fun tho, saying next year I'll bring them with me in a harness since they will grow bigger!

That could be intersting. A spider harness. I can see it now, walking your spider and your neighbors cat runs by, the T teleports to the end of the leash, then throws a threat pose.

Zurchiboy

3 Year Member
Think about all the commotion an escaped T would cause in an airplane. I don't take mine with me on vacations. A spider leash would be interesting, however it would take like a day to walk one block, plus the hassle of getting it to go were you want. I'd be covered by all the urticating hairs.

Mtinney

3 Year Member
Think about all the commotion an escaped T would cause in an airplane. I don't take mine with me on vacations. A spider leash would be interesting, however it would take like a day to walk one block, plus the hassle of getting it to go were you want. I'd be covered by all the urticating hairs.

I'd probably just sit it on my shoulder like I did my pet rat.

She'd sit on my shoulder when I walked around the block, hide under my hair when a car or hawk went by. I miss her... (She died a long time ago.)

Latest posts