• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Do you prefer Old Worlds or NWs and why?

Gizalba

3 Year Member
Hi,

I am just curious as to why some people prefer or equally love owning OW Ts? I have read that most of them are 'pet holes' and hardly ever seen, so I wondered what attracts people to them? Although I have no OWs myself, so far what appeals to me is the extent of web tunnelling I see some do, and also how pretty some of them are. Not that all Ts aren't pretty :p But I do like a range of different types of colour and patterns.

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Personally we don’t think Nw or Ow. If we see a T we like we normally get it or plan to get it. There are a lot of fossorial Ow species but when you do see them it’s a nice surprise :)
There are also a decent number of them that are always out. On the other hand you can have a lot of Nw species that will burrow and you won’t see for a long time. It’s all down to what you want from the hobby. If you want a T or a few Ts your going to see out or have on display then you get whatever you like the look of. Some of the “beginner” species are some of the nicest looking (depends on the individual) if you want a collection then having a pet hole isn’t too much to worry about :)

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Ours are mostly new world, but that is not by choice, it is just what happened.

timc

3 Year Member
I prefer new worlds. When my few old worlds I have no pass I probably won’t add anymore. I don’t feel like dealing with the speed and attitude anymore honestly. I’ll probably never get a psalmopoeus for that very reason too. I find them to be absolutely beautiful spiders but, yeah, show me a picture, i’ve had my fill lol. I’m happy with my pet rock Brachypelmas, my adorable Avicularia, and other new world flotsam and jetsam. I didn’t get into this hobby for thrills, and over the years feeding, watering and maintenance has become relaxation time for me, so the fewer bolts and more predictable behavior is what i’m after now.

Jeremy-psychonaut

Personally we don’t think Nw or Ow. If we see a T we like we normally get it or plan to get it. There are a lot of fossorial Ow species but when you do see them it’s a nice surprise :)
There are also a decent number of them that are always out. On the other hand you can have a lot of Nw species that will burrow and you won’t see for a long time. It’s all down to what you want from the hobby. If you want a T or a few Ts your going to see out or have on display then you get whatever you like the look of. Some of the “beginner” species are some of the nicest looking (depends on the individual) if you want a collection then having a pet hole isn’t too much to worry about :)
I agree if I see a t I like I do the research and get it weather it’s a NW or OW doesn’t matter

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
What do the classifications of old & new world mean? I have looked & can find no definitive, or even clear definition, for it's usage.

Historically it related to the Americas, with Europe, Africa & Asia being the old (known) world. But that leaves Australia clearly within the new world. As Columbus discovered the Americas in the late 1400's & the Dutch did not reach Australia until the 1600's. So that leaves an issue with species such as the Selenocosmia crassipes, as most people seem to list them as old world. But Australia is clearly a new world country.

Gizalba

3 Year Member
What do the classifications of old & new world mean? I have looked & can find no definitive, or even clear definition, for it's usage.

Historically it related to the Americas, with Europe, Africa & Asia being the old (known) world. But that leaves Australia clearly within the new world. As Columbus discovered the Americas in the late 1400's & the Dutch did not reach Australia until the 1600's. So that leaves an issue with species such as the Selenocosmia crassipes, as most people seem to list them as old world. But Australia is clearly a new world country.

As far as I can gather (correct me if I'm wrong) - I thought tarantulas from Australia are classed as new world for that reason. However I haven't researched Selenocosmia crassipes, so I would like to know the answer to this too!

NorseDad

I'm truly torn on this TBH. On the one hand, I find OWs to be exciting. Nothing gets the adrenaline going more. On the other hand, I'm a sucker for a lot of NWs. I just like the idea of having a species that is native to my country (US). I find a lot of subtle beauty in what are typically considered dull brown spiders.

See, those new worlds are like your daily driver in a lot of ways: reliable, sturdy, easy to care for. Old worlds, in general, are like a nice sports car: fast, exciting, and impressive. Some days though, no matter how flashy the sports car is, you just want to hop in that old reliable truck.

Gizalba

3 Year Member
As far as I can gather (correct me if I'm wrong) - I thought tarantulas from Australia are classed as new world for that reason. However I haven't researched Selenocosmia crassipes, so I would like to know the answer to this too!

P.s.

It did strike me as odd however, as of course old worlds are known for their speed and aggression, yet speed and aggression is exactly what I'd associate with Australian spiders :p And conversely with the UK being in Europe - the UK is rather low on dangerous spiders. So I am very confused!

Gizalba

3 Year Member
Usually NW refers to Ts from the Americas whilst OW are from Europe, Asia, Africa and Australia.

So OW tarantulas are generally from the Old World countries, except Australia which is classed as Old world just when it comes to tarantulas? Lol, mind blown.

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I have no preference, I do find a lot of the popular old worlds overrated however (outside of P. rufilata or P. murinus), though my mind could change when I decide to get a few.

Seekeroftruth

I prefer new world because they are more beautiful. It also gives me peace of mind since i have children, should one ever get loose.

My so likes ow baboons.

Latest posts