• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Do baby tarantulas need a smaller cage, or can you keep them in an adult one?

77wolfster

Hi, I have been wanting to get a tarantula, and the one I have my eye on is a juvenile Mexican Red Knee. I was wondering if I could just keep him an adult cage so I would not have to upgrade when he gets bigger. It would be wonderful to know this.

Thank you!

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hi, I have been wanting to get a tarantula, and the one I have my eye on is a juvenile Mexican Red Knee. I was wondering if I could just keep him an adult cage so I would not have to upgrade when he gets bigger. It would be wonderful to know this.

Thank you!
Hello and welcome to the forum/family.
Each size/state of life needs it’s own enclosure. I personally go through at least 5 enclosures per T from .25 inch to adult size. If your T is already bigger you won’t need that many but there isn’t such a thing as one size enclosure fit them all, unfortunately.
Look at the search option on this forum, there are many threads with pictures of inexpensive home made enclosures for all size of T.
As you are starting on this great and addictive hobby I would recommend as well to get a couple of books on basics T husbandry as it will answer many questions that you will soon have.
For anything difficult or unusual you will find on the great forum tons of references to use as well as a wealth of amazing people willing to help.
Cheers.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I can house that T in 4 notes (enclosures) just to out do @Oursapoil

But in all honesty, smaller is better for both comfort) security of the T, and easier to monitor food intake/guarantee your T eats

Welcome to the forum!

Latest posts