• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Dks outbreak!!!

Tgotty90

3 Year Member
Ok so starting to worry about my collection as a whole. In the past 3 weeks I've had 2 die. One of wich was from old age and the other from injury. So I thought. Before my g.porteri injured itself I noticed she was acting extra skittish pretty much flailing itself around and attacking everything. Now my b.smithi is doing the same thing. Very concerned I have a virus or pararcite infestation. I've removed it from my t room and began to rehouse the others. Haven't noticed any other odd behavior from the others but strange this is happening back to back.

Tgotty90

3 Year Member
Ok so figured out that my ts are going through dks. Already lost my avic and g.porteri now my smithi and e.murinus are going through it as well. Trying to stay positive but I fear the worst for them. Doubt they'll make it. Now any advice on what to do to protect the rest? 4 ts with the same symptoms somethings wrong.

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I have never experienced DKS but it sounds horrible. Keep us posted on your leanings. Good luck!

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Ok so figured out that my ts are going through dks. Already lost my avic and g.porteri now my smithi and e.murinus are going through it as well. Trying to stay positive but I fear the worst for them. Doubt they'll make it. Now any advice on what to do to protect the rest? 4 ts with the same symptoms somethings wrong.
I've never heard of dks spreading like that..but I may be uninformed on it as I've never had a T with dks. Have you inspected the orifices of the dead spiders, or examined them closely?

Tgotty90

3 Year Member
I've never heard of dks spreading like that..but I may be uninformed on it as I've never had a T with dks. Have you inspected the orifices of the dead spiders, or examined them closely?
Yes I looked over both pretty good and I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. Im aware of chemicals causing this. And I have treated my house lately but only the exterior. Even if they were exposed to chemicals, why would only a few be infected?

Nicolas C

3 Year Member
As you said,DKS isn't a disease but is a symptom. Could be of a poisonous contamination. If you don't notice presence of parasites in mouth or anus, then it's most likely some kind of poison problem, maybe due to chemicals exposure. I don't know why it only touched some of your Ts and not all: maybe some were more resistant, or have been less exposed?
Give them full clean water dishes, lots of calm and hope for the best.
Keep us informed!

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Pasodama

3 Year Member
Wow, am so sorry that you are going through these problems (& loss) with your Ts.

I think the advice, given by Nicolas, is good.

Would like add to make sure you, always, wash your hands, prior to doing anything with your Ts, and leave symptomatic T's, as last to feed/water, during T care.

Also, if you would like to do it, start documenting things.
This would be to, hopefully & if possible, figure out what is going on &/or what is the cause.
These things could include some/all of the following:
- When fed and what prey item was fed to T.
- When watered and what was used to water (including where the item, used for watering, was located prior to use).
- Anytime you put your hand into a T enclosure (when and which T enclosure).
- location of any T, exhibiting symptoms, in relation to your other Ts.
- Any handling (if handled) and when.
- Notation of what you were doing prior to doing anything (feeding, cleaning, watering, etc.) with your Ts.
- Any open window and when.
- Any other animals, that enter the T room, and when.
- Any cleaning, in room, and which product/s was used (and when).
- Anything else that comes to mind (be it weather/wind, activity in/and around home or T room, etc., etc.).

Tgotty90

3 Year Member
Wow, am so sorry that you are going through these problems (& loss) with your Ts.

I think the advice, given by Nicolas, is good.

Would like add to make sure you, always, wash your hands, prior to doing anything with your Ts, and leave symptomatic T's, as last to feed/water, during T care.

Also, if you would like to do it, start documenting things.
This would be to, hopefully & if possible, figure out what is going on &/or what is the cause.
These things could include some/all of the following:
- When fed and what prey item was fed to T.
- When watered and what was used to water (including where the item, used for watering, was located prior to use).
- Anytime you put your hand into a T enclosure (when and which T enclosure).
- location of any T, exhibiting symptoms, in relation to your other Ts.
- Any handling (if handled) and when.
- Notation of what you were doing prior to doing anything (feeding, cleaning, watering, etc.) with your Ts.
- Any open window and when.
- Any other animals, that enter the T room, and when.
- Any cleaning, in room, and which product/s was used (and when).
- Anything else that comes to mind (be it weather/wind, activity in/and around home or T room, etc., etc.).
Thanks for the advice and condolences. Definitely having a hard time figuring out the cause so did start documenting everything going on right now. I have a few different scenarios on what it could be but still no complete explanation.

First thing im thinking would be poison being most common reason for these symptoms is exposure to pesticides and the fact I did treat the exterior of my house at the beginning of March as I do every year and never had issues before. 5 now out of 20 showing symptoms and none exactly at the same time wich makes me think viral more than poisoning.

Next would be that this is a parasite problem. My first T to go was a avic i picked up back in December wich I believe was a male. I never noticed symptoms of dks, wasnt exactly watching for it then either so hard to say. But a week later did notice my porteri acting strange and she lost the fight. since then 3 have shown the same symptoms so thinking its a parasite since its more like a epidemic, going one at a time. If all were exposed at the same time, why is there gaps between each T doing this?

Very concerned for the rest of my Ts and doing everything possible to keep this from spreading. but I fear the worst. I've separated all I feel are safe and made sure they're well cared for before trying to help the other's. Haven't lost faith yet but the next few weeks are going to be tough.

Tricocyst

3 Year Member
sorry to hear about your losses.. I'm a bit concerned now as well.. I live in a apartment that sprays every few months and it's mandatory.. so I hope it wont bother mine when it happens.. the exterminator only sprays around the walls in the kitchen and bathroom.. outside as well.. but my T's arent in either of those rooms so I hope without any form of contact with those areas it wont bother them :/

Tgotty90

3 Year Member
sorry to hear about your losses.. I'm a bit concerned now as well.. I live in a apartment that sprays every few months and it's mandatory.. so I hope it wont bother mine when it happens.. the exterminator only sprays around the walls in the kitchen and bathroom.. outside as well.. but my T's arent in either of those rooms so I hope without any form of contact with those areas it wont bother them :/
Hey at least you know in advance, maybe prepare ahead of time and seal up the room as best as possible for the time being. Im thinking mine is a virus of sorts but you can't go wrong planning ahead, better safe than sorry. I never imagined spraying the outside of my house would harm my animals but then again these are bugs too, but ive been keeping Ts for almost 5 years now and treating my house twice annually and no problems till this point so. Hope all goes well and you don't have any issues.

Tgotty90

3 Year Member
As for a update, none have shown symptoms this week so fare. My E.murinus didn't make it through the weekend wich makes 3 I've lost to this but on the bright side my smithi and seemanni are hanging in there and seem to be progressing, so starting to feel a lil more positive for them but only been a week so only time will tell. Just hoping and praying I got this contained.

Pasodama

3 Year Member
Sorry about the loss of your E. murinus.:(
It is, however, a brighter note, and good news, that the other two are hanging in there and that the rest have not shown symptoms to date.:)
I pray everything continues on a positive path.

Tricocyst

3 Year Member
well our exterminator arrived today and sprayed.. I stopped him and asked if the pesticide has any air born complications or is it direct contact and I was surprised that he had a lengthy conversation with me.. he assured that unless my spiders get out and touch the sprayed area or I touch the area then touch the spider or it's enclosure then the spray poses absolutely no risk to my spiders and that it requires direct contact.. this happened about 6 hours ago and all my spiders appear to be doing their normal routine so I hope everythings ok.. I will post updates if the worst happens :/

Tgotty90

3 Year Member
well our exterminator arrived today and sprayed.. I stopped him and asked if the pesticide has any air born complications or is it direct contact and I was surprised that he had a lengthy conversation with me.. he assured that unless my spiders get out and touch the sprayed area or I touch the area then touch the spider or it's enclosure then the spray poses absolutely no risk to my spiders and that it requires direct contact.. this happened about 6 hours ago and all my spiders appear to be doing their normal routine so I hope everythings ok.. I will post updates if the worst happens :/
That's good to hear, I think you should be good just wash your hands good and obviously don't let em out near exposure, makes me feel a little better about mine being a poison problem, I felt terrible thinking it was something I did that caused this.

Tgotty90

3 Year Member
It's been 10 days since my smithi started showing symptoms, not completely out of the woods yet but feeling alot more confident for her survival. Just keeping her well hydrated, same with my seemani. Both look ten times better. Starting to think if I removed the others in time, they would've been less prone to injury and more likely to recover. If you can keep hydrated and safe from harming themselves then I think you have a good chance at saving em.

Tgotty90

3 Year Member
Another week down and everyone is doing well. No more sick Ts, my smithi and seemanni are back to normal. Im pretty sure this came from bad crickets as I come to find out my supplier had a issue as well. Definitely not a fun experience but ive learned alot through this. Most information I've found on these symptoms say this almost always leads to death, but from my experience, if you can catch it in time and take the right steps. You can save your infected Ts.