• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Difficulty finding Loans?

Seekeroftruth

I've been looking on different websites and classifides at people seeking breeding loans and almost everything people have posted has no replies.

I was wondering, how difficult is it to find mature male's for breeding loans? What about difficulty in finding mm for breeding of less common species?

In general, it is also difficult to find mm for sale in a lot of species (besides more popular or common ones, but even then the time frame for breeding might make finding one difficult)

Just wanted to know what your experiences are. Here in a year or so, I might want to breed some, as the species i like don't live long.

Seekeroftruth

I've been looking on different websites and classifides at people seeking breeding loans and almost everything people have posted has no replies.

I was wondering, how difficult is it to find mature male's for breeding loans? What about difficulty in finding mm for breeding of less common species?

In general, it is also difficult to find mm for sale in a lot of species (besides more popular or common ones, but even then the time frame for breeding might make finding one difficult)

Just wanted to know what your experiences are. Here in a year or so, I might want to breed some, as the species i like don't live long.

Adult females also are not as common as slings as well.

Anyway, im kind of looking in the future here but just curious if anyone has had their mature male's die without finding a mate for them?

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Adult females are the reason people get a species so once someone has one it’s not common to sell it. So slings would be more common.
Without causing offence, hobbyists don’t send Mms to inexperienced breeders. Especially for a breeding loan. The possibility of a return on the Mm is very slim in comparison to an experienced breeder.
A less common Mm is very easy to find a breeder for generally. We never loan but do send Mms to breeders and the more reputable breeders will tend to offer slings in exchange so where possible we swap an Mm for a sling or 2 of the same species ( were posting a T Cupreus Mm off today)
Only species we end up keeping as Mms is T Albopilosus, obts Lps and N Incei . We have an N Tripepii that we believe will mature next moult and don’t think he’ll be leaving us either.
My advice if you want to get into breeding is to raise the slings yourself. It’s a long process but this hobby is like that. Over time if you are successful then people are more likely to send you Mms.
Sorry for rambling but hope this clears things up.

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Adult females are the reason people get a species so once someone has one it’s not common to sell it. So slings would be more common.
Without causing offence, hobbyists don’t send Mms to inexperienced breeders. Especially for a breeding loan. The possibility of a return on the Mm is very slim in comparison to an experienced breeder.
A less common Mm is very easy to find a breeder for generally. We never loan but do send Mms to breeders and the more reputable breeders will tend to offer slings in exchange so where possible we swap an Mm for a sling or 2 of the same species ( were posting a T Cupreus Mm off today)
Only species we end up keeping as Mms is T Albopilosus, obts Lps and N Incei . We have an N Tripepii that we believe will mature next moult and don’t think he’ll be leaving us either.
My advice if you want to get into breeding is to raise the slings yourself. It’s a long process but this hobby is like that. Over time if you are successful then people are more likely to send you Mms.

Too bad you don't live in the states....I've got your female, lol... ;)

Seekeroftruth

Im currently raising slings of mainly moderate/ fast growing tarantulas.

Would you say that the following is a good plan?...

Try to molt sex all of them by juvenile age if possible. If I get a female of one, go ahead and buy some slings of that type in order to have a chance at a male in case i can't find one later.

And if I have a male of something, plan to sell, trade or loan to someone who has experience?

I want to plan it out in advance since tarantulas are expensive.

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Im currently raising slings of mainly moderate/ fast growing tarantulas.

Would you say that the following is a good plan?...

Try to molt sex all of them by juvenile age if possible. If I get a female of one, go ahead and buy some slings of that type in order to have a chance at a male in case i can't find one later.

And if I have a male of something, plan to sell, trade or loan to someone who has experience?

I want to plan it out in advance since tarantulas are expensive.

You could do that...or once you molt sex a female and a male, both, slow the male down by feeding him less and power feed your female....unless you just want to bring a different bloodline into the equation by obtaining slings elsewhere and raising a male that way.

Psychodelicts

Latest posts